Chilkoot Trail Footwear

8:46 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I'll be doing Chilkoot the 3rd week of July and hope to have my pack weight down to 25-30 pounds.  We'll be taking our time, camping 4 nights.

I have been hiking in my Solomon Trail running shoes, and they are very comfortable.  (I have the Haglund heel issue... so it's nice to have that worked out for a hiking shoe). I do have light hikers (Lowas), but they tend to leave me with blisters.... and I don't have a whole lot of time to break in new boots.

I'd love to do the Chilkoot in my Solomons, but wondering if I should be concerned about the boulders. 

If any of you have done the Chilkoot Trail I'd love some guidance on footwear.

2:44 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

People day run the trail in similar shoes, but their packs are significantly lighter.  

I spoke with Parks Canada and some our Yukon Wild Members and they all suggest using a beefier hiking boot.  This year the pass has gotten a lot more snow than normal so you may have to kick in steps on the Golden Stairs, and a boot will do a fair bit keeping your feet warm, dry and stable. Just today someone was flown out because of a twisted knee (not sure if boots would have made a difference, but...)

After Happy Camp it's pretty smooth, so you could switch back to your shoes if you're willing to bring them along.

Here's a link to Parks Canada's page on the Chilkoot that you may have already found: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/yt/chilkoot/activ/activ4a.aspx
.  We also have a video on our page that'll hopefully get you psyched for your trip: http://yukonwild.com/HikingAndBackpacking.aspx

Hope that helps

3:41 p.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks so much for the excellent information.  I was wondering about the snow this year - I hear it can vary quite a bit year to year.

It looks like it is worth another trip to REI to scope out some new boots - tried my Lowas again, but am pretty sure that will end in lots of blisters.  I've been told that today's synthetic shoes don't require the break in time of leather boots - hope they are right because I'll be on the trail in about 2 weeks!

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply