Patagonia/Gortex

6:10 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I noticed on Patagonia's website that many of the "new" jackets they have posted are now made with Gortex.  Anyone know why the switch?

6:24 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Oh, NO  !!!

~r2~

8:21 a.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,487 reviewer rep
1,318 forum posts

i read about this a while ago.  they still sell less-expensive jackets with the proprietary waterproof/breathable laminate, H2No.  not sure why.  personally, i think gore tex does a better job letting moisture out than H2No.  i had a rain shadow jacket - fine jacket, but i ended up selling it.  

8:39 p.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I don't know why, but here's an educated guess: I'd say it's because Columbia is so mad at them, MH is switching to their GE eVent clone, Patagonia is blowing up as far as sales goes, and Gore has a LOT of money to throw around. It certainly isn't because Patagonia is trying to be inventive...let's just hope Gore has their own eVent-type membrane in the works...Who wants a sub-8 ounce M10? I do, I do!!

9:25 p.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I read I think here somewhere this new fabric coming out this fall that breathes better than eVent and more waterproof than gortex proshell.  Neoshell I think its called.  I have my radar out for these to hit.  I'm looking for a new waterproof breathable jacket this winter.  The Neoshell could be the Gortex killer if it does what it says it does.  Maybe Arcteryx will come out with one?!  

10:56 p.m. on July 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,313 forum posts

I'm curious what Arcteryx's target market is.  They are typically twice the price of comparable gear from other manufacturers.  (ok that's a guess, but I know it always seems exhorbitant to me).  I am having trouble recalling ever seeing any Arcteryx gear on the trail.

Hmmm, ok, I do have a pair of Arcteryx pants ... but only becuaes they were on the bargain rack at REI last year for a fraction of their normal price :).  They actually are great pants, but the normal price makes them prohibitive.

5:05 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I'm with you on Arcteryx 110%.  I still dont get it.  Do they make a nice product?  Yes.  However no more nicer than products that Marmot, Columbia, NF, MH or Patagonia are putting out.  Personally I think Arc pockets are too small.  Their stuff is still made in China too now so dont give me this "oh my jacket was made in Canada" crap.  Two words for Arcteryx: Over Rated.  Nuff said.

5:56 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Acr'teryx is insanely over-priced.  

I, too, have their pants (3 prs) ... but, got a great deal on them.  Two pairs are made in Thailand.

I HATE to have ANYTHING made in China.   But, that's the direction almost all the manufacturers have gone.  I predict there will one day be a backlash, regarding "Made in China".

I recently returned (to Blue Ridge Mountain Sports) a bowl, by "Sea-to-Summit".   It was Nylon ... but melted in a microwave oven.   Apparently, there were metal filings in the Nylon.

~r2~

8:31 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,487 reviewer rep
1,318 forum posts

not to continue the hijack of this thread, but the one piece of gear i used from arc'teryx was worth every penny.  it was a day pack, 18-20 liter.  it was expensive for its size, but it was worth it.  after ten years of torture and over-stuffing, i sold it to a rock-climber who still uses it to haul his rope and rack today.  excellent materials, excellent construction.  (design was fine, but there isn't much you can do with a pack that size - no suspension, rides on your shoulders).  

8:54 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... but, where was it made?

~r2~

1:23 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Monopoly

2:58 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

How is that M10 jacket anyway?  Ptagonia is "blowing up?!"  Really?  I gotta check the financials..

7:09 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Though I haven't put one through its paces, I hear really good things about the M10 jacket...and though I'm not on the up-and-up regarding Patagonia's financial statistics, there is certainly a lot more brand recognition about the average public within the last few years, and I more frequently notice full-page Patagonia ads in the publications I read; their surf and fishing lines are expending quite steadily, as is their casual clothing line; these observations, taken together, cannot be purely coincidental.

Also, in an age of decreasing quality and increasing "planned obsolescence," Patagonia continues to make a conscious effort to uphold fairly ethical, sustainable business practices, especially for a public company of their magnitude. The mere fact that I know about these things means their business model is working. They are blowing up.

7:52 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Patanonia is blowing up?! Darn global warming! Hope everyone evacuated in time.

8:40 a.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I know that some years ago Patagonia stop using gortex as they couldn't recycle it, well, this is what they said...maybe now they can recycle it, or they want to sell more, or I don't know what to think...and Arc is good, I just been yesterday to their concept shop in Zurich, it's looking cool! (but yes, too expensive)

November 21, 2014
Quick Reply