Inputs for TNF Steep Tech - Vintage 90s

4:08 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I am thinking of buying a pre-owned Steep Tech designed by Scot Schmidt. Seems like a 90s model.

The red/black/gray pic in the link is how it looks like.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/tnf-classifieds/topics/84678.html 

I can't seem to find tech info on this model so would like to ask about the jacket & pants:

1. What are your inputs if this is to be used as an outershell on long snow expeditions like Denali, Elbrus, Aconcagua as far as durability to comfort to weight to protection goes? What kinda brings some doubt to me is that it is designed mainly for skiing, rather than for mountaineering.

2. What is the waterproof & breathable material used? I've read from a rather vague input in another forum that the material used is Ultrex, instead of the more popular ones like Gore-Tex or the Hyvent being used now in the newer steep tech models.

3. Are the seams taped/sealed? Zippers waterproof?

looking forward to your replies :)

8:45 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I own an 90s era NF tech parka.  Great for lift serviced and heli skiing, but way too heavy and bulky for backcountry use.  Remember you have to carry this stuff!  NF tech is not water proof.

For the venues you cite, I'd look for a breathable lightweight hard shell, it doesn't need to be water proof, unless you plan to do a low altitude approach, and anticipate rain.

Ed

9:19 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

thanks for that :)

i might need a little bit of waterproofing when need to sitdown (or lay down, haha) on snow. will search here for more options. correct, lightweight is the way to go 

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply