MSR Hoop Tent

10:20 a.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I have been looking at this tent online and really like what I see, but I haven't seen it in person. I haven't found any reviews on it yet but am very curious for opinions. The only thing I found on it was in the Backpacker magazine Gear Guide but  I have found that I don't agree with a lot of what they have to say (not to mention all the mistakes and guesses they make). My local outfitters don't have it.

Has anyone used or even seen one set up?

I like the size (I'm tall), the fact that its not all mesh, materials, has structured vents, 2 doors/vestibules and the weight is not that bad at 4.8 which is the average weight of most of my tents (I chose design over weight usually).

Any thoughts on it?

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hoop/product

1:22 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Too many poles for me.

In comparison I would try a Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3 (2 person)

1:54 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Callahan said:

Too many poles for me.

In comparison I would try a Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3 (2 person)

I wouldn't compare the Skyledge to the Hoop. The Skyledge doesn't have what I like: Structured vents, length, less mesh.

2:45 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Cool looking tent. I would either go to a local outfitter and check out other MSR tents there or order it from REI or Backcountry and return it if I didn't like it. 

8:33 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

I like most MSR products; love my Hubba.  You will find this a little snug in the shoulder area – share with only a good friend:)  The overall geometry is similar to the Hubba Hubba. One thing I like about this design is the dry entry – many compact tents require exposing part of the interior to down pouring rain, whereas the Hubba designs almost eliminate this problem.  The other chief feature is high ceiling, making it easier to dress and undress.

This tent looks good for 3 season use, but its large broadsides make it a poor choice if winds are an issue.  I would not use for snow camping in any case because of its limited snow loading performance, plus the design is more claustrophobic than it looks on paper.

You pass of Calihan’s Skyledge 3, but you might consider the MH’s Drifter 2.  It is only three inches shorter than the Hoop (both should easily accommodate a 7’ tall person) yet utilizes its foot print more efficiently in the shoulder area.  I realize you prefer less venting, but considering none of these tents are suitable of snow camping, you may want to reconsider more venting makes all of these tents better suited for summer use.

Ed

11:51 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

After what whomeworry said, take a look at Alps Mountaineering. None of them exactly match the specs of the Hoop but they make a variety from all mesh to very little. You can't see them in their pictures but the flies are vented. I have the Zephyr 3 and Chaos 3. 

The Chaos has lots of room and the sides are vertical. I haven't camped in it yet but I have set it up. You should be able to get in and out without getting wet.  I read a review in which it was taken down while it was raining with out getting the inside tent wet.  He was using a footprint and you can just unclip it from the poles. while leaving the fly on. 

You probably can't take the Zephyr down in the rain without getting it wet. It has some short sleeves at the peak.  You might be able to but you would definitely want to plan and practice first. 

1:21 a.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

The Hoop is the replacement for the Hubba Hubba HP (which North America no longer gets but Europe still does).  It is intended for light 4 season, FWIW.

So new that the reviews are non-existent, unless you read Backpacker which did a brief review on it.

11:03 a.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Here's another tent I would love to have. 

ONECOL_D1.jpg

ONECOL.jpg

It's the Eureka! Tessel 3 (it also comes in a 2 man). if you look closely you can see it has double doors.  Screen and material.  It is heavy at 6lb 15oz but if you are dividing between 2 it's not bad.  Size is 84L x 68 W x 46 H inches. On sale now at http://www.departmentofgoods.com/eureka-tessel-3-tent-3-person-3-season for $139.98.

12:24 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

whomeworry said:

I like most MSR products; love my Hubba.  You will find this a little snug in the shoulder area – share with only a good friend:)  The overall geometry is similar to the Hubba Hubba. One thing I like about this design is the dry entry – many compact tents require exposing part of the interior to down pouring rain, whereas the Hubba designs almost eliminate this problem.  The other chief feature is high ceiling, making it easier to dress and undress.

This tent looks good for 3 season use, but its large broadsides make it a poor choice if winds are an issue.  I would not use for snow camping in any case because of its limited snow loading performance, plus the design is more claustrophobic than it looks on paper.

You pass of Calihan’s Skyledge 3, but you might consider the MH’s Drifter 2.  It is only three inches shorter than the Hoop (both should easily accommodate a 7’ tall person) yet utilizes its foot print more efficiently in the shoulder area.  I realize you prefer less venting, but considering none of these tents are suitable of snow camping, you may want to reconsider more venting makes all of these tents better suited for summer use.

Ed

Ed, you got me all wrong. I do want venting, as much as I can get from the fly. Of course I want/need mesh in a tent, I just don't want all mesh. I like a little privacy when the vestibule is open. Think Marmot Twilight (my other consideration, I really like it). The Twilight has 2 scoop wents in the fly, above the vestibule and has breathable material on the lower half of the tent body.

The Drifter 2 doesn't have fly vents, though it is a nice tent.

And the tents mentioned would be for three season use only.

Thanks for your input.

12:29 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Here's another tent I would love to have. 

ONECOL_D1.jpg

ONECOL.jpg

It's the Eureka! Tessel 3 (it also comes in a 2 man). if you look closely you can see it has double doors.  Screen and material.  It is heavy at 6lb 15oz but if you are dividing between 2 it's not bad.  Size is 84L x 68 W x 46 H inches. On sale now at http://www.departmentofgoods.com/eureka-tessel-3-tent-3-person-3-season for $139.98.

I really like this tent a lot. I've looked at this one. It has almost everything I want, but it's way to short for me. Lat summer I bought the Eureka Forte XT. I love the design of that one to, but it was to short for me (same length as Tessel). Luckily I only used it for the dog and me. I couldn't see two adults in thee, especially when one person is over 6'. I returned it.

The departmentofgoods site is cool, never saw it before. Nice prices. Thanks!

3:45 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

The Alps Mountaineering Mystique 2 is 8 feet long but only 40 inches high.  The Chaos 3 is 7'6" and 44" high.

5:03 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Those measurements are from the outside of the tent, not the inside.  Alps is notorious for doing this (as is Nemo Equipment).  Also, the slope of the walls determine usable length.  The length on the hoop includes an inside measurement and near vertical walls at the ends.

In addition, you can forgo some weight by leaving the end poles at home.  The tent then becomes non freestanding.

7:25 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I'll have to pull mine out and measure it. The sides of the chaos are vertical up to where the polls join on the sides and and at the tip of the spreader bar above the the door. 

Bkuti how long and high do you want your tent.

12:37 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

CWF said:

Those measurements are from the outside of the tent, not the inside.  Alps is notorious for doing this (as is Nemo Equipment).  Also, the slope of the walls determine usable length.  The length on the hoop includes an inside measurement and near vertical walls at the ends.

In addition, you can forgo some weight by leaving the end poles at home.  The tent then becomes non freestanding.

I am with you on this. I was talking with a Big Agnes rep and was told that most measurement for tent dimensions are based on grommet to grommet measurements. Also the more verticle the sidewalls the more usable vesti/interior space. I have a tendency to stay away from single entry style tents for this reason on the other hand I will buy a single entry model if the entry point is on the side and not the front(like my Copper Spur 1.)

2011-05-02_18-39-24_142.jpg

2011-05-02_17-19-11_152.jpg

I was considering the Fly Creek 1 but when I saw it set up I noticed the slope of the entry ate up the vestibule. Not to mention when entering or exiting in a deluge the tent inner is exposed a bit due to the slope.

On Eureka tents if you want a solid tent that has decent interior space check out the Mountain Pass XTE, I own the 2p and the 3p. These are pretty robust tents to say the least. Granted they are on the heavy side but the materials are beefy.

Mountain Pass XTE 3p
new4.jpg

KT1-3-20-10-.jpg

Mountain Pass XTE 2p
1018091555.jpg

mountain-pass-2-side-.jpg

Don't ask why I guyed it out so far, I honestly have no idea other than I was trying to assure the possibility of a face plant at night from tripping.

Then again you could always go for this. It only weighs in at 54lbs. Its a perfect solo.
columbia-tent.jpg

I've done reviews on all of these tents except for the Spur if ya want a heads up on the Eurekas.

8:50 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Bkuti said:

..And the tents mentioned would be for three season use only....

Do note any tent with vents that cannot be sealed, such as the Hoop, are only three season tents.  Even if the fly goes to the ground you can still have problems.  I know some will say they have used vented tents in the snow with no problem, but I have the dubious experience of a particular two week trip where the spindrift constantly made its way in through the mesh. 

Ed

12:22 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Ed, the vent on the fly of the Hoop can be closed.

1:05 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally won't buy a tent unless I can "batten down the hatches."

1:19 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

CWF said:

Ed, the vent on the fly of the Hoop can be closed.

But not the vents on the tent proper.  A good wind storm will push spindrift up between the tent and fly, then enter through the tent vents.  This is more probable than you may assume, given the large broad sides of this tent, and the minimal reinforcement provided by the pole system.  This is probably the primary reason it was designated a 3½ season tent.

Ed

1:26 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

You are correct, the Hoop is designed as a 3+ season / mile 4 season shelter.  But the vents still close.  Given the primarily fabric inner and the lower pitched fly (than the Hubba), the tent will do fine, as did the Hubba Hubba HP.

3:18 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I've always liked the Eureka Mountain Pass tents. The XTE is real nice, almost what I'm looking for but a bit heavy. I used to have the older version (green /black) that didn't have the monster vestibules that they have now.

I plan on using a new tent for me and a dog or 3, maybe my girlfriend and sometimes solo.

I was just looking at the Sportsman Guide and they have the MSR Mo Room 2 for pretty cheap, like $230. Kinda similar to the Hoop but with end entrys and 2 vestibules, 1 which is hooped. Kinda heavy though at close to 7 pounds. And it's not free standing, which I don't mind.

So I'm thinking it's going to be the MSR Hoop, Marmot Twilight or possibly the MSR Mo Room 2. I was all about the Marmot a few weeks ago until I saw the MSR's. I do really like the Twilight.

Anyone have thought on the Twilight or Mo Room?

10:07 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I noticed the dog reference. The XTE has a 5000mm floor. I never saw the need for a footprint with them other than the convenience factor. I cut mine to extend into the vestis which was nice, especially in muddy areas. I would strongly suggest you pay a great deal of attention to the fabrics used in the floors as well as coatings being there are pooches involved. Puppy paws can wreck a tent floor over time. Just a thought. 

12:00 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I noticed the dog reference. The XTE has a 5000mm floor. I never saw the need for a footprint with them other than the convenience factor. I cut mine to extend into the vestis which was nice, especially in muddy areas. I would strongly suggest you pay a great deal of attention to the fabrics used in the floors as well as coatings being there are pooches involved. Puppy paws can wreck a tent floor over time. Just a thought. 

Yea thats why I'm not even looking at any UL tents. I would never put a dog in a Big Agnes Copper Spur or Fly Creek or something like that. I think the three I mentioned, along with the XTE (which is always a consideration) would do the job. Durability and design over weight. I don't plan on doing thu hikes or long distance with the tent (I have other lighter ones for that), 1-5 day trips usually making base camp under 8 miles from start. I won't mind extra weight from a tent if it does the job.

1:02 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah I hear ya on that one. Without a footprint I can see the grass thru the floor of my Copper Spur.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply