Inflatable canoe?

2:51 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

Is there such a thing as a inflatable canoe? I have heard of and seen inflatable kayaks. I want something I can paddle on Lake Powell while exploring its many side canyons. I have not paddled a canoe in 40 years and do not have a way to carry a rigid canoe to the lake.

I would be carrying my backpack, tent,sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, water bottles, etc on the trips. I am looking at spending a week to a few months on the lake.

3:18 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

http://www.twinfinn.com/ Rents a double Sea touring kayak for about $300 for 7 days.  http://www.kayakpowell.com/ rents canoes and kayaks but you have to call for prices. It also sells used ones. If you're gonna be a month it might be worth it to buy one, use it and then sell it at a pawn shop.

Or you could go all out and rent a house boat to use as a base camp.  Who knows maybe you'll run into some celebrities making a video like Pamela Anderson did. That would give you a change of scenery.

3:33 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Gary, pick up a Packraft at www.alpackaraft.com and you'll have something for the fjords the next time you're in Alaska...these are very competent rafts, with optional spray decks, capable of handing all but the very roughest conditions.

You might even be able to find an example of the Triple Aught Design-commissioned version...that'd be the one for me...

Forgive me if you've already seen these, and absolutely know an inflatable canoe is what you want.

3:37 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

I have heard of Alpacka rafts but when I wrote the above question I could not think of the name. I have extremely long legs and a kayak won't work for me. I will look into the Alpacka rafts again. I do want something light, packable and they sound like what I am looking for.

4:04 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

If the "Denali Lama" or the "Fjord Explorer" doesn't work for you (..and why the switch to the pun-ny names?), I have a feeling they'd do a custom raft for you...

6:20 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Gary

Sea Eagle SE-370 Deluxe Inflatable Sport Kayak

aaBuO3a0LikztenGISdZ6cbQ0oPZ6gujEyDjYVml

My guess is that you probably don't have to inflate the seat in the middle.

10:34 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

Yes I have been looking at either the Fjord Explorer or the Sea Eagle Deluxe today. I wonder which is better in durability? And the Alpacka weighs about 5 lb while the Sea eagle weighs about 26.

10:56 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

For what it's worth, the Fjord Explorer is whitewater-rated; I don't know about the Sea Eagle Deluxe.

Here's a good page:

http://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm/about/About-Alpacka-Raft/2781

Check out the video of the guy dropping into Drofgnir Creek, in Washington state...

9:51 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Anyone see some of the "Ribby's" ("Rigid Inflatable Boats) they've come out with, lately?

Somebody (?) makes one that looks like an offshore racing boat  (Donzi, Cigarette,  Wellcraft, etc.).   Can go like 'stink', too!

I had an Avon "ribby", as a dinghy for my sailing sloop.   Those Avon's are "bomber" and the default dinghy, almost everywhere.

U.S.  Coast Guard uses quite a few types of "ribby's".

~r2~

10:32 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
900 forum posts

Hi Gary, you'll find some information on inflatable and folding canoes in my canoeing series that Alicia is putting up. Lake Powell in an Alpacka raft? Not unless you're a glutton for punishment. Yes, it could be done, and Alpacka are fine boats for what they were designed for, which is not open non-moving water. Can you cross a fjord in them? Certainly. Yet, like all inflatables, they are slow, subject to the wind and have little directional stability.

I would steer you to folding canoes. They are currently available from Ally(a division of Bergen's of Norway) and Pak Canoe, which is a US company. They are not as fast as a rigid canoe, but not by very much. These boats are similar to the folding kayaks out there(Feathercraft, Folboat, Nautiraid, Klepper) but they are canoes capable of hauling big loads and Class 3 white water.

2:32 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Hey Gary,

I am an owner of the SeaEagle 330, and If you're the only one on this boat, at 6'7" you're gonna be pretty uncomfortable with your pack in there too!

Just so you get an idea of this package...

IMG_0615-1-.jpg
the carrying bag

IMG_0616-1-.jpg
how i fit it in

IMG_0619-1-.jpg
thats it next to my 110lb lab, (barley a year old and still growing!) the backpack spaced it out a little bit, but the pack is nearly empty... all it has is my sleeping pad inside of it

a
IMG_0620-1-.jpg
And this is me at 5'8" and my feet fit perfectly before the pack

once more, the SeaEagle is very narrow, but it will open a bit if you put something wider in there. So your pack should fit but not right up to the bow or stern... which i believe is critical storage space!

the 330 has an interior size of 9"6"

the 370 has an interior size of 10'8" (and is $100 more and weighing in at 32lbs)

So while towering a foot more than me, you shall receive 2 extra inches between you and your pack.

If you are staying at one lake the whole time, you'll have an awesome time not having to lug both the backpack and the seaeagle around! While if you are going to be moving quite a distance I imagine it will be very complicated to figure out!

side note: it is rated up to class 3 rapids, strong enough for dog paws, and it does track fairly well! not as well as I'd like, but it is 11ft... and even regular kayaks don't track very well unless you have 14ft plus!

4:42 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

Well I am thinking maybe I should just get a rigid canoe. I will probably be using it for many months living on Lake Powell. I don't plan to cross the lake much just stay along the shorelines and sometimes cross side canyons.

Is paddling much of a chore? I have been a hiker for 35 years, last time I paddled a canoe was 40 years ago when I was 16 on a 3 hour trip in Wisconsin. Will it take long to get my arms into shape for constant paddling?

2:30 p.m. on July 24, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
900 forum posts

A proper canoe paddle stroke involves more than the arms...there is a lot in the stroke that comes from the torso. It will take you sometime to develop the muscles and refine your stroke. If you are in shape already, you should be able to cover 15 to 20 miles a day in a rigid canoe with no wind on flat water. 

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply