Lether hiking boots..

7:26 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Almost all the pics i have seen here of hiking boots they have been made of lether, why is that, does it work bether than other synthetic materials?

8:10 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am a leather fan just because they do not breakdown as fast as boots with the synthetics when exposed to rocks, etc. I will only wear an all leather boot when I am hitting rocky terrain or on any trip where I really have to put a ton of faith on my what is in my feet. I just bought a new pair. I have boots that are a combination of synthetic and leather but have designated these as my go-to day hikers.  

Thats about all they are good for.

9:21 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am in favor of quality full leather because it provides the best long term durability, long lifespan, can be resoled, is naturally low odor, is water resistant yet breathes (with proper care ard treatment) and with proper breaking in will conform exceptionally well to the user's feet.

Boots using fabric break down and tear much faster, retain odor, and must be lined with a "waterproof" barrier to be water resistant. Those "waterproof breathable" membranes quickly loose all breathability from oil and dirt buildup, and usually develop leaks quite quickly.

9:28 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

You guys took the words right out of my ... hmmm .... FINGERS ! (?)

~r2~

9:37 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

~r2~

Het Robert..... EVA and Gore-Tex !!! :p Time to get those fingers rollin.

8:03 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Robert Rowe said:

~r2~

Het Robert..... EVA and Gore-Tex !!! :p Time to get those fingers rollin.

Aaaaarrghhh ....

You're bad, Rick.  Bad.

~r2~

11:22 a.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

One piece full grain leather boots with welted sole and a half shank are by far the best boots for me in steep rocky terrain.

I've tried lots of boot styles and the cheaper, lighter, multi piece, over stitched, synthetic / leather boots do not last, and do not protect and support my feet the way a good leather boot does.

I do wear the lighter syn / leather boots for dayhikes on fairly easy terrain, but not for serious hikes or backpacking in the mountains.

1:14 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

i think it depends on what your needs are. 

if you mostly do day hiking or light hiking (by 'light' i mean you don't carry much weight and don't encounter really jagged, rocky trails), synthetic/leather shoes or boots are probably fine.  they weigh less, the don't need to be broken in, they ventilate well in warm/hot weather unless they have a gore tex lining.  i have a couple pair of low trail-running shoes for this kind of  hiking. 

for hiking with heavier backpacks, steeper/rockier trails, having a more robust boot can help protect your feet from abuse and can provide more support under your feet for the extra weight you're carrying.  while there are leather/synthetic boots that are quite stiff and supportive, they tend to be rather exensive anyway, and they usually can't be resoled - so, they are semi-disposable and destined to be replaced every so often.  i prefer all-leather boots that are glued & stitched to the midsole and sole.  over some time, leather boots form to your feet - so if they fit well, they are often more comfortable; they are reasonably easy to waterproof if you take care of them; they can last several times longer than leather/synthetic, and they can be resoled; and they do a great job protecting your feet.  they do weigh more, though, they take some time and care to dry out in the field. 

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply