For Rick in Pittsburg. New Tent for you...

1:29 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Rick - see here for the Mountain Hardwear two person shelter (more like 1 +), fully freestanding hooped, double walled, and just under 1 KG of weight.  This is one pound lighter than the ID Wedge, almost the same weight as the eVent Unishelter but you can sit up and it has much more room.  Freestanding and double wall is just a bonus:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3961

(Scroll down a bit)

1:48 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

This and the Hoopla look really interesting. I will look forward to when they are available to check out more.

2:07 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm.... Its a double wall, I didn't see anything in regards to whether it was a 3 or 4 season. Being the UL tag is attached I am pretty sure its a 3 season but I could be wrong. 

I like DAC Featherlight poles. My BA uses them and they are great.

Thanks for posting this CWF. Now I am adding another item to my "research list."

2:48 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Ah yes - forgot about the 4 season requirement.  Well MH does have the wedge tent that I linked to you before but it will be $500.....

If the 'Mainstrem' keeps creating shelters of this sort of room and weight (i.e. Hoopla) they will be stepping directly on the toes of the cottage manufacturers.  It will be interesting to see what the cottage makers come up with next!

Set up the Mountain Laurel Designs DuoMid yesterday to seam seal it.  There are 8 perimeter tieouts (with linelocs) and 4 mid panel guylines if required.  It pitches drum tight (in the pic, it had been sitting out for two days drying from seam sealing and the line locs were not pulled tight).  This WILL work in the snow. Most impressed:

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

3:16 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@CWF- Is there an inner with a floor available for this model? If so any experience with it? I am not very familiar with this model or for that matter MLD in general. Thanks.

4:21 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Yes there is.  An inner for two or an inner for one.  I will use a bivy under this that weighs 7.4 oz with bug netting.

MLD has larger models - the Speed Mid and the Super Mid with similar inner net options and as well, a solo verion - the....SoloMid.

The shelter can be pitched right to the ground to keep out most bugs and blowing rain.

Super easy to set up.  Lay it out like a rectangle.  Peg out all 4 courners tight.  Insert trekking pole.  Add additional pegs if required.  Done.

4:36 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Well, I have had two different shelters of that profile and used them in the snow, the first failed and I was not satisfied with the performance of the second.

The first was a "Fjallraven Expedition Tent" which I bought in 1973, from the first store owned here in Vancouver, BC, by the guy who founded A.J. Brooks, the Meindle boot dealer and I used it for winter camping very extensively in the heavy snowfall area of the Kootenays in BC. I sold this tent in, IIRC, 1979 and I had used it for some snow camps that were 2-4 weeks long and did not really care for it in those ciscumstances.

My next one was an original Chouinard Pyramid and I also used it a lot from when I bought it here in Vancouver in 1987 to about 2005, I did not feel comfortable in it in heavy snowfalls and I still have it in my "junk" closet of old tarps, packs and other gear I no longer use.

I have an 8-man Kifaru tipi and I do not totally trust it in heavy snowfall, either, and the pyramid shape is not as strong under loads of this type as a dome or hoop design, in my experience.

I guess it is all about what one does and where one does it, but, I find the strong, hooped shelters more useful in snow and so that is what I choose to carry.

4:42 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

I have no idea how you would prefer having inches of snow built up on a Unishelter, on your legs, compressing precious down, and possible enough snow to cover the top of the bivy.  I sure didn't like it much.

The Wedge has promise but the top is really flat so it won't shed snow very well.

Regardless, when I mentioned snow I was more referring to the shoulder season months - the wet stuff.

I use a Hille in winter but my background is the Jasper, Coumbia Icefields, Yoho areas.

4:44 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

CWF said:

Rick - see here for the Mountain Hardwear two person shelter (more like 1 +), fully freestanding hooped, double walled, and just under 1 KG of weight.  This is one pound lighter than the ID Wedge, almost the same weight as the eVent Unishelter but you can sit up and it has much more room.  Freestanding and double wall is just a bonus:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3961

(Scroll down a bit)

This little rig really impresses me and I would love to test one in the winter here in BC, with snow and wind and all that stuff. Are they likely to import these here?

5:24 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Dewey - yes they will be available here for 2012.  In both US and Canada.

5:58 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

As always thanks for the info guys. Its greatly appreciated. I know a bit but at the same time I have much to learn. The info provided is a great help. Thanks again. 

On a side note, I am looking for a bomber solo shelter that will handle anything I can throw at it. I am planning travel in the future that involves a few trips outside the country. 

When it comes to cost I have no limitations for a shelter. I want the best I can get and I accept that with that comes a price. 

I kinda feel if an individual puts a limit on what one is willing to spend as far as a shelter for extreme weather goes that is pretty much the same as putting a price on your life. Just my personal feelings. 

6:07 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

As far as a solo, bomber shelter, I can't think of anything but the Hilleberg Soulo.  It is heavy but absolutely bombproof withough giving up space or a vestibule.  Just a thought.

6:14 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

CWF-The Soulo has been flying really high on my radar. I am not too worried about saving a few pounds here or there because typically when ya get into lighter weight materials ya get into less durable gear.

Lightweight to me is fine for 3 season use. I have a UL tent.

When it comes to mother nature droppin the temps, kickin up the winds, and dropping the white stuff lighter pack weight doesn't seem like much of a convenience to me when compared to the reassurance that when you know what hits the fan you are prepared.

7:25 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

The Wedge is too narrow to allow much snow buildup on it's upper surface, the snow will slide off and even melt to some extent given the warmth rising from inside. I used my Early Winters Light Dimension with a flat upper surface, my ID Mega Sola and my Bibler Solo Dome a lot in snow, in the Jasper area, south of there on the Alberta side and all over BC, especially in the heavy snowfall areas of the Kootenays. These worked better than the pyramid shelters I have used.

The Unishelter is an emergency rig and I usually use mine with a siltarp or the old Moss "Wing" tarp I bought back in the '70s. The rig is for 1-2 nights when you do not expect to stay out and it works very well for that purpose, in ,y experience since I bought mine in '93' or '94.

For absolute "bomber" protection in really severe weather and fast setup, I prefer my ID Mega Sola to anything I have ever used and my Hille. Soulo is next. The Soulo is the better of the two for actual camping, again, the MS is largely an emerg. rig or for a sheep-goat hunter who may camp in some pretty harsh situations as he has run out of light and is still a long way "UP"....and, it happens quite often.

For you, Rick, the Soulo is probably your best option and I suggest calling "vigilguy" and asking his opinion on this. He has used many different Hille. tents plus a couple IDs....and, that ID Yukon is another option well worth considering..........gives ya a freakin' headache, after awhile, eh!

10:40 a.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
211 forum posts

CWF said:

As far as a solo, bomber shelter, I can't think of anything but the Hilleberg Soulo.  It is heavy but absolutely bombproof withough giving up space or a vestibule.  Just a thought.

I totally agree.

I use the Unna myself, just because I am an old fart and like more interior space.  The Soulo is a stronger tent though.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply