I've found an oddity.

8:10 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

It's a 2 person tent that's actually a 3 person by "industry standards".

Sierra Designs Zolo-2

Sierra-Designs-Zolo-2-tent.jpg
Simply amazing! They're not packed like sardines.

8:22 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is comparable. I own it.

http://store.eurekatent.com/mountain-pass-2xte-tent

eureka-newest.jpg

tent1.jpg

Floor size is 90" x 60" so ya have 6" less length wise and 6" more width wise and the vestibules are bigger.

I also own the 3 man version of this tent.

new4.jpg

8:38 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

My Nemo Meta 2P could also easily fit 3 people. Its a very roomy 2 person tent at 36sqft internal, and 22sqft vestiuble.

8:41 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

TheRambler said:

My Nemo Meta 2P could also easily fit 3 people. Its a very roomy 2 person tent at 36sqft internal, and 22sqft vestiuble.

...and alot lighter. If I fast pitch my Copper Spur 1 w/o the inner I can fit 2 in it. Spindrift might be a problem though lol.

9:47 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

I've looked at that tent (and the 1 person which I really like) but the issue I have with it is the lack of fly vents. That is a requirement with a tent for me. Though I still think of that giant solo tent (30x96 footprint).

9:50 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bkuti said:

I've looked at that tent (and the 1 person which I really like) but the issue I have with it is the lack of fly vents. That is a requirement with a tent for me. Though I still think of that giant solo tent (30x96 footprint).

What tent Bkuti?

10:21 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Bkuti said:

What tent Bkuti?

Oh, I was talking about the Sierra Designs Zolo tents.

Your Eureka Mountain Pass tents are sweet. I always liked them. I actually have the Mountain Pass 1XT. Great big solo tent with a 8x3 footprint, 3" height and 2 huge vestibules. It also packs short with 12" pole sections, which I used to really like, but shorter poles means wider pack size and are not as secure in the bottle pockets of my pack where I keep the tent poles. I haven't had that out in a while, next trip.

2:37 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bkuti said:

Your Eureka Mountain Pass tents are sweet. I always liked them. I actually have the Mountain Pass 1XT. Great big solo tent with a 8x3 footprint, 3" height and 2 huge vestibules. It also packs short with 12" pole sections, which I used to really like, but shorter poles means wider pack size and are not as secure in the bottle pockets of my pack where I keep the tent poles. I haven't had that out in a while, next trip.

They are awesome for the price. Heavy but I have to say they are very solid tents. The floors are super solid(5000mm) and having the ability to close the mesh inner entry points off with fabric has proven great in cold temps.

I actually contacted Eureka and told them these should be considered convertibles and they actually responded saying that they agree. 

Heavy like I said but super solid.

I am surprised that they do not get more notoriety than they do. I think the weight scares people away lol. 

8:56 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
242 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Bkuti said:

They are awesome for the price. Heavy but I have to say they are very solid tents. The floors are super solid(5000mm) and having the ability to close the mesh inner entry points off with fabric has proven great in cold temps.

I actually contacted Eureka and told them these should be considered convertibles and they actually responded saying that they agree. 

Heavy like I said but super solid.

I am surprised that they do not get more notoriety than they do. I think the weight scares people away lol. 

Yea even my 1 person is Mountain Pass is close to 5 pounds, but like you said, solid. Don't know if you have ever seen the one person, but it has a huge drop down door that has the window to cover the mesh, with a little velcro fastened window on the bottom (by your head) that is about 8"x4" that can be opened for a little ventilation when the main mesh is covered. It's a great feature. Mine is pushing 10 years old but you couldn't tell.

Do you use yours solo? I could understand because it's solid, big, roomy and has great venting options.

I also have the Eureka Backcountry 2 which is very similar to the Mountain Pass but no vestibules, one door and a closeable window on the back and roof. I don't use it for camping really anymore but is great for parking lots, streets (I do the occasional weekend BBQ comp) or anywhere really where staking down can be an issue.

I really like Eureka and think they are overlooked and underrated. A lot of people seem to think they're cheap quality, "beginner tents" or for boy scouts. Also I guess because there not the lastest "trend" tent/brand. When the Spitfire and the Zeus were considered UL, they did well.Eureka (and Marmot) seem to consider durability over weight saving. It''s a great quality and how I buy my gear.

That would be great if Eureka took your advice for a convertible.

7:32 p.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I also think Eureka gets kind of a bad rap at times. I use the 2xte as a solo and the 3xte as a 2 man. I love them for kayak trips. Very solid tents.

The hi-lo venting works very well.

This is the hi-lo venting being utilized. See how the part of the vesti is zipped open? This causes a chimney effect. 
KT1-3-20-10-.jpg

I have seen the 1p version. Its solid as well.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply