More tent companies from the Euro-zone

12:58 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

So, Rick's find of Ferrino Tents has me thinking that if there is one tent maker out there that I haven't heard of, there may be more, many more in fact.  I just found these guys.  Looks like they have some pretty cool tents.  Everything from Expedition tents to "Lightweight Tents".  The company name is VANGO and there are out of the UK.  Has anyone heard of them?  Does any one have any experiance with any of their products?  They sell Trangia Stoves and I'm sure some of you have at least heard of Trangia.  I do not yet know if this is their line of stoves or they the middle man for these stoves. Does anyone have any knowledge of tent makers from the Euro-zone that we have not talked about as of yet?  Here's a linke to Vango's tents. 

http://www.vango.co.uk/products.html?overview=true&vcatid=1

Let me know what you think, if anything at all.

9:56 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

As you know I have  been eyeballing Euro tents for awhile now. Force Ten, Lichfield, Outwell, Gilert, Aztec, Khyam, and even Coleman. One of the reasons is waterproofing. Most of their tents are 1500-3000 mm PU on the fly and 5000 on the floor. Most the tents in the same price range in the states are 800 on the fly and floor. Thats just not going to cut it in the winter here. Even my Halfords Dugdale ($50) has 1500 mm PU fly. The other thing I like about the Euro tents is the porch area. They do like to be comfortable in the rain. :)

10:23 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

And I like to do things on the cheap. Just found this little beauty.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/camping/tents/1-2-person-tents/product/096471/BLK-SARK-BRT-BLUE-0.html?attribute=4785451

Around 60 bucks with a 2000mm PU head

10:55 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I took a look and was excited to find out they had a "blow-up" tent using airbeams like the Nemo Morpho but the 2 person weighs in at 6.65 kg or 14.66 pounds! I'm assuming this includes the pump but that's way to much for a 2 person tent. 

I looks like the mountain lite Spirits might be a nice tents. The 200 weighs 5.29lbs. The fly has sleeves for the poles instead of being thrown over the top like most tents I've seen. I would hate to have to put it up in a hurry. The fly is made of ProTex which I think is similar to GoreTex which would probably cut down on condensation problems and has a 6000mm coating (wouldn't this kill the breathability of the fabric). They appear to use straps to tension the poles instead of a footprint or the inner tent. 

11:51 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nemo pumps are not heavy:

NEMOID™ PUMP

The Nemoid™ Pump is the fastest way to inflate AirSupported™ tents, and is included with Morpho™ series tents. It weighs less than 4.5 ounces and can be stored flat in your tent’s stuff sack by simply closing the Dump-Check Valve™ before squeezing the air out of the pump body. 

Featured in: Morpho™ 1PMorpho™ 2P

astp7.jpgINTEGRATED PUMP

AirSupported™ tents are easily inflated using the Integrated Pump. This patent pending device takes the 1 or 2 psi that you are able to blow with your lungs, and amplifies it to the 7-9 psi you need to optimally inflate a NEMO airbeam. You do this by blowing into the peanut shaped chamber of the pump, and then squeezing the now-inflated chamber. Internal one-way valves send the air out of the pump and into the tent. The “lung-amplifying” pump features durable welded construction, a Moisture Release Valve™, and a Quick-Disconnect Valve for easy airbeam setup. The pump weighs 2.5 ounces and packs easily into the stuff sack of any NEMO tent. 

Featured in: Gogo™ LEGogo™ EXMoto™ 1P

astp7.5.jpgULTRALIGHT INTEGRATED PUMP

The Ultralight Integrated Pump is the smallest and lightest way to inflate NEMO AirSupported™ tents. This lung-amplifying pump uses similar construction to NEMO’s original Integrated Pump, but uses ultralight weldable fabric and shortened tubing to reduce its weight by 50%. 

Featured in: Gogo™ Elite

11:55 a.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am not too sure how much I like this set-up. I was chatting with  Nemo rep and was told that they are not designed for 4 season use although a special forces team they work with takes them in AK in the winter and have not had any problems with them. I was looking at the Gogo elite. Thats what sparked this conversation. 
Not much weight savings imho. 

12:19 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

The Vango tents seem to be geared toward easy setup instead of weight reduction.

I would think that the air beams might need to be reinflated if there is much temperature difference between when you first setup and the coldest part of the day. I have read about sleeping pads needing reinflation when the nights were very cold.

12:26 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am familiar with Vango tents(Brian, I pm'd you about that.) They are pretty solid.

I think our minds set on what seems to be most popular manufacturers here in the states(MH, TNF, SD, BA, blah blah blah.) There are quite a few Euro companies that make bomber shelters. 

Take Hille for instance, not the lightest but very well respected when you know what hits the fan. 

Once again there are trade-offs when one want light weight or durability. Its all dependent on where ya go, when ya go, and what your needs are. 

In a perfect world you could have a bomber 2 man 4 season shelter that weighs in a 1.5lbs and is free standing...

Notice I said in a perfect world. Here we go with those trade-offs again. 

12:52 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

In a perfect world it wouldnt rain in the winter in the PNW. LOL But it does. So having a heavier water proof tent is important. Thats why I'm looking at these tents. Even the cheap ones are more water proof than most sold here in the states. I can buy a 2.5 lb tent with 800mm fly that will work in the summer, but...... In the winter a 5-6 lb tent with 3000mm head is what is needed to stay dry. Plus more room if the weather turns really bad. A 7lb tent would make since to me. With the big porch one can open it up aways and safely stay dry and cook. Its not much fun being wet and cramped. So much for the idea of a 1.5 lb tent. :)

12:54 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah a few of those Ferrino High Labs have 10,000mm fly and floor. I think alot of people over look things like this during their initial purchase and get put in a really bad spot when "mother nature" decides to show her ugly side.

4:56 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Vango make tents a bit simlier to Coleman...

I use a lightwave tent. it's a small brand, own by one guy (yes I do know him). the tents are great!

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/
the same guy also have this brand:

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/index.php

And last week I been to a shop and found this tent maker, never heard about them before:

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/TentsTarpsWindscreens/Tents.aspx

Exped is entering it tent range into the US and the same go with the British Mountain Equipment

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/home.asp

5:20 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

here are few photos of my lightwave G1 ultra
IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg

6:35 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
7:41 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
624 forum posts

Can't speak for their tents but my summer sleeping bag is a vaude. Really light and compactable. Temp rated to 16 celcius but I saw temps of 11 celcius with no problem (and thats in only boxers). Stitching looks solid, nice compression sack. So far I'm impressed.

11:03 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Man, I might have to go out and get a job sumthin,  The Eruo-tent circus is coming to town and I would guess that when the larger Chinese outdoor industry gets their foot in the US door this will go wacko.  There will be tents for all to be had............weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

11:19 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

There will be tents for all to be had............weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Isn't it fun? :p

4:09 a.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

G'day all,

I actually have some experience with the Vango brand. I have had for about 4 years a Vango sherpa 60 +10 litre backpack, more for the budget conscious, quite comfortable, well made to the point of a family heirloom type of pack (you know hand down father to son) But 2.5 kilos! way to heavy as far as I am concerned.

p.s love the trailspace site, I have learnt heaps :)  

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply