About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Coleman Max Micro stove

5:15 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,669 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

So I don't see any reviews of this here on trailspace yet, and no other reviews anywhere reputable besides walmart and the like.

I was at a super walmart last night for work and when I was done I was meandering through the camping area while waiting on the store manager. I found a Coleman Max Micro (Peak 1?) stove without a box marked for $5. The normal retail was listed as 25.99 for the others still in the box.

Not yet owning a canister stove I decided what the heck it's only $5, so i grabed it and a fuel canister. I fired it up this mornijng just to play with it and made myself some coffee and pancakes on it. It brought my 2 cups of water to a boil in about 1 min 50s-2min i wasnt watching too closely so may have been sooner. The stated time to boil 1 liter is 3.5 minutes.

Stove weighs 6.7oz so heavy when compared to the snow peak giga power, msr pocket rocket etc which run around 3.5oz. But it seems very sturdy which is typical for coleman products in my experience.

I was very impressed with the flame control, you can easily adjust for a low simmer or full blast, and anywhere inbetween. I was able to easily make pancakes this morning on it.

I think this will be a good addition to my stove arsenal I think. I normaly use an alcohol stove and in winter an msr xgk ex, the canister will be nice for those 3 season trips where I want to actually cook.

So my first impression for paying $5 for a stove with a 5 year warranty is I am very impressed! Even if I paid the full price, i would still be equally impressed.

Here after I take it out on a trip or two will post a more detailed review. So have any of you used or own this stove? thoughts?

5:24 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Other than the weight which really isn't a big deal when ya take into consideration what ya got it for it seems to get really good feedback.

My thought is will it take other canisters than just the Coleman ones? I see its a butane model which could be a real pain in the you know what once the temps dip but being ya have the XGK it shouldn't be a problem as far as you are concerned.

I have a canister and to be honest if I saw it for $5 I would have snagged it up w/o a 2nd thought. If for nothing else as a backup or a second stove for coffee if I wanted to use my primary for cooking for a group situation. 

5:32 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,669 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Yes it can take any canister with an lyndal style valve as far as i know, looks like the standard thread pattern.

5:41 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

this is actually my backpacking and mountaineering stove. I have used it so far during trips with altitudes a little over a mile, and I have used it in temps as low as 10 degrees F (windchill doesn't effect a stove, only air temp if you shelter it).

The fuel is the most important thing. Get a winter mix fuel for cold weather, don't bother with the coleman crap. I use jetboil's winter mix, it's the same price as coleman's fuel.

Keep the fuel warm in your jacket and it works just fine for cooking in cold temps. I've also fit an MSR fuel canister to it for warmer trips. 

It's a great stove.

5:43 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hmmmm, not bad honestly. I never pay that much attention to the whole weight thing unless its in regards to lbs. I think ya got a pretty good score there imho.

Then again I prolly know less about the stove than you do but just from what I see its not bad.

2:58 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I saw and purchased this Coleman Max Micro stove and the 3250-702T Butane/Propane Mix fuel at a local Super Walmart the other day - $25.68 for the stove, $4.88 for the fuel.  I've been using a MSR Simmerlite liquid fuel stove for a number of years but wanted to give a canister stove a try.  Saw the relatively low price for this stove and fuel and snapped 'em up.

I finally had a chance to check out and use the stove today. Typical well built piece of gear from Coleman.  A bit heavy but worth the tradeoff on price.  Good tight fit on the canister and well balanced.  The two rotating pot supports are a bit loose so I'll have to be careful not to push one or the other out of position while cooking causing the pot to get dumped (close call at lunch today!).  The burner and "pipe" do spin but the stove is designed to come apart at that point to inspect the "air pipe" for obstructions so it's not a problem.  Great flame control - down low for simmer and up high for "afterburner" although I didn't keep it wide open and still got a pretty quick boil.  There was no wind on my patio so I'm not sure how the Max Micro will handle wind, with no built in burner "wind barrier" I suspect poorly.  I'll have to see if my MSR wind screen will do the trick but it may not be high enough.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the bang for the buck ratio.  It worked like a charm in a "controlled" environment and I'm sure it'll hold up well for 3 season trips.  For colder trips I'll just break out my Simmerlite.

I was glad to read the earlier comments about fuel canister compatibility.  I did a quick look at REI for fuel canister availability and found this:

We’re sorry. Due to Department of Transportation restrictions, REI can no longer ship butane fuel canisters. While butane fuel canisters are no longer available for purchase on our websites or over the phone, REI stores continue to carry a full selection.

I'm sure that's a nation wide ban so I better stock up on Coleman fuel canisters from my local Wally World while I can.  There's no big name outdoor store around here so I'll have to do some local exploring to find another source once I grab all they have at Walmart. 

Where are some of the sources for butane/propane canisters you all have found?  Am I right that b/p fuel canisters can't be ordered online?

Cheers,

Redmetoc

3:07 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,669 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

if no outdoor stores are in your area such as rei and ems, you can check places like dicks, sports authority, walmart, cabelas, some targets etc.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply