Steel Toed Boots?

6:49 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hey all. Hope everyone here on the East Coast is getting ready for a wicked shower on Sunday!

To the point... I just bought my husband these boots (Carhartt steel toe hiking boots) cause I figured its a great deal being that he can hike in them and use them at work as well. Was just wondering peoples experiences with steel toed boots and hiking? Are they too heavy for long hikes??

Try and stay dry!

[moderator's note: commercial links removed]

6:55 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

Steel toe boots definitely have their place in the footwear world, however, IMO I don't think that that place is in the outdoors for hiking/backpacking.

They simple add ALOT of extra weight that is not needed, and having an extra pound on your feet is just as bad as having an extra 10 on your back. Think about it, you have to lift your feet with every step. It really takes its tole after awhile.

Your husband or anyone for that matter will feel a dramatic difference for the better using lighter footwear specifically built for just hiking.

Carhartt makes ok work boots, but i wouldn't use them for anything outside of work or maybe a walk around the block/town.

7:06 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Another thing concerning steel toes is if they are truly "steel toed"(as compared to some companies that use a composite safety toe) they can become quite cold when the temp plummets.

Having your toes exposed to cold can be a real problem if the exposure is over a prolonged time period.

I personally would not utilize a steel toed boot for anything other than work.

Other than the weight of the boots dayhikes in warmer weather shouldn't be much of a problem as long as it isn't anything too technical(try to stick with well maintained trails.)

For anything "extended" I would most certainly opt for something else.

8:29 p.m. on August 25, 2011 (EDT)
20 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Steel toed boots for hiking are very heavy and unnessacary. My biggest problem with them as a work boot was in the winter they were always very cold.  For work I accepted that for safe feet.

When hiking it is always nice to find equipment that will do double duty but for me my hiking boots stay in the closet for everything but hiking.

3:25 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Nothing new to add except my personel experiance has been that many steel toed boots have a smaller toe box hence less comfort for my toes.Also agree with the cold toes in winter,I no longer use steel toed workboots because of this.As for weight the less weight on ones feet the better.I also do not use my hiking or climbing boots for work or the other way round. 

3:30 p.m. on August 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Skimanjohn said:

Nothing new to add except my personel experiance has been that many steel toed boots have a smaller toe box hence less comfort for my toes.Also agree with the cold toes in winter,I no longer use steel toed workboots because of this.As for weight the less weight on ones feet the better.I also do not use my hiking or climbing boots for work or the other way round. 

Spot on, my backpacking boots(other than initial breakin never see use other than what they were made for. Drives me nuts when I see someone wearing their designated/well used trail boots just to go out and kick around town. Side walks and asphalt can wreck the soles on a pair of boots.

That reminds me, I need to go to the store, now where are my Scarpas?

11:55 a.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

the steel toes tend to induce blistering more than non-protective footwear, and they add weight.

if your husband needs them for work, i would opt for a pair of running shoes or lightweight trail runners over steel toed boots for hiking.  

4:19 p.m. on August 27, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

I use steel toed boots for work.  They are cold!  They also do not dry very well if they get wet.  I will echo the other opinions.  Hikin boots for hikin.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply