Hilleberg Soulo Video

2:03 a.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
699 forum posts

Lots of great discussion on Hillebergs lately, especially the Hilleberg Soulo.  I found this video (apologize if it has been previously posted) that shows its features quite nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfmzI1tO6I&feature=topics

2:15 a.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I watched this one a few weeks back. Its a pretty good video. I am considering doing video reviews as a supplement to my standard reviews. I have the HD cam and what not to do it. 

I have fired out reviews from my phone so who knows. It may very well happen.

I think videos are great because it gives a better over-all experience to the viewer when you are explaining certain aspects of gear that may be uncharted territory for them and they may not be familiar with the terminology that is used at times. 

7:24 a.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this vid.  The rain gutter is a new feature which is not on any of my Heidelstraufbergens.  And as the guy says, snow with rain is the worst kind of weather---short of tornadoes---and will really test the condensation qualities of a tent.

The video shows well the elastic inner pulls connecting the inner to the fly.  He at first says the inner yellow canopy is waterproof which it is not, then corrects himself.  I really wanted to see him lay out his bag and get inside and see if the foot of his bag touches the end wall.

As in the video, I have observed that Hilleberg guylines do tend to get slack but they say their cords do not stretch.  Maybe it's the black plastic runners which slip now and then.  I can have my guylines very tight before going to sleep and by morning they are drooping and slack, especially after a night of wind.  I really don't know why this is.

7:31 p.m. on August 31, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
211 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

Thanks for sharing this vid.  The rain gutter is a new feature which is not on any of my Heidelstraufbergens.  And as the guy says, snow with rain is the worst kind of weather---short of tornadoes---and will really test the condensation qualities of a tent.

The video shows well the elastic inner pulls connecting the inner to the fly.  He at first says the inner yellow canopy is waterproof which it is not, then corrects himself.  I really wanted to see him lay out his bag and get inside and see if the foot of his bag touches the end wall.

As in the video, I have observed that Hilleberg guylines do tend to get slack but they say their cords do not stretch.  Maybe it's the black plastic runners which slip now and then.  I can have my guylines very tight before going to sleep and by morning they are drooping and slack, especially after a night of wind.  I really don't know why this is.

I've never done it, but I have heard that you can gather the inner tent fabric of the Hilleberg's, put water in it, and it will hold the water.  I'll have to get a swatch of it and see.  It is meant to breathe, yet prevent condensation from coming through from the inner surface of the outer tent.

Their cords do not stretch, since they have a Spectra core.  The nylon (kerlon) fabric will stretch somewhat, then tighten up when the sun comes out.  Their polyester tarps do not stretch, but the nylon ones will.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply