About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Big Agnes Fly Creek Quality Issue

12:15 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Recommend checking the seams of your Big Agnes tents:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop

Lest you like water.

1:22 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,109 forum posts

CWF,

Do you have a better link? I own this tent and just had some water issues but attributed them to some holes I found in the floor. Would love to see the information....

1:44 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts
3:13 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I haven't had any trouble with the Spur and its been in a few washouts so maybe its a quality control issue with the Fly Creek line only? Hmmmm. 

I would strongly suggest contacting BA. From my correspondence with them in the past as far as my inquiries and general conversations went they are a company that  stands behind their products. 

If you think there is a problem in regards to a defect or something like the above I would not hesitate to get in touch with them.

Here is a link to get ahold of them.

cs@bigagnes.com

From my experiences dependent upon what time of day the email is sent they get back in touch with ya fairly quick.

Hope this helps.

5:36 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,109 forum posts

Thanks very much...glad to see my issue is different. I have had between 40 and 50 nights in my BA FLyCreek II and only until recently ever had any issues (and been through many storms). I had been using 1.5 mil painters- plastic as a ground sheet and I think it just wasn't sturdy enough. The water I had came up through the floor. I foudn three abrasion holes in the floor and called BA. They suggested repairing with TearAid tape. That's what I've done but haven’t been in a real downpour yet to test it.

Here is what I found:
Fly-Creek-Tear.jpg

I also went ahead and bought the footprint as much as hurt it to spend the money.... 

5:45 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Love Tear-Aid. It is great stuff and it lasts. I have been using it for quite a long time(years.) I was first introduced to it when I bought some at Cabelas.

Make sure you use the Type-A

Type-B only works on Vinyl and Vinyl-coated materials.

Type-A is good for:

Canvas, Most Fabrics, Rubber, Neoprene, Most Plastics, Nylon, Fiberglass, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polyurethane, Non-oiled leather, and Sunbrella.

The B uses a different adhesive.

7:12 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Stop the madness and bring back 70d floors!

7:28 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

CWF said:

Stop the madness and bring back 70d floors!

FYI  CWF- 

They never left.

Nammatj and the other 1800 Kerlon models have 100D floors.  Nallo and the other 1200 Kerlon models have 70D floors.

Something I've noticed while using them.

8:05 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Amazingly, the new Fly Creek Platinum edition has a 20d floor.  Oh, they recommend you buy the footprint.

; )

8:10 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ultra-High strength, uv resistant, 10x silicone impregnated toilet paper? Now thats light... 

8:22 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Yes Rick but it is ALL about muti-use gear.  No need to bring wet nappies for the cat hole (still need the cat hole, though).

8:09 a.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,109 forum posts

Yeah, I must admit using the Fly Creek is a bit like walking on egg shells. I’m still figuring out what gear suits me and I seem to be a little rough on stuff.  In a way it’s almost disingenuous to advertise a super low weight when in reality the gear isn’t sturdy enough to be used without reinforcement.

9:32 a.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

But that's why we talk to each other. 

9:37 a.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

These are some of the reasons I have not jumped on the ul band wagon.I am not hard on my gear but the areas I like to go shure are.To save a few grams it is just not worth it to me.

10:14 a.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,109 forum posts

All true….

In my case I’ve rationalized the situation: I have had some forty uses with successful shelter before I tore up the floor. And this was a significant investment given my income level. However, I will be seriously considering replacing the tent with something sturdier (if heavier then so be it). I will also (somewhat embarrassingly) admit that I bought this thing off the internet without ever seeing it in person (I won’t do that again with a tent).

10:25 a.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Skimanjohn said:

These are some of the reasons I have not jumped on the ul band wagon.I am not hard on my gear but the areas I like to go shure are.To save a few grams it is just not worth it to me.

BINGO, John !   x2

~r2~

3:35 p.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Before I bought my Spur I looked at quite a few UL shelters. Some were so flimsy I was thinking "whats the point in using this? If the wind hits it I am going to look like I got into a massive accident with bread ties and toilet paper."

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply