1938 Grand Canyon French Connection

4:21 p.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

Check out this short clip of a longer work on the 1938 French
kayakers in Grand Canyon. They hiked out at Phantom as the river began to
ice up in November, after starting their trip in Green River, WY.

Doesn't show much of the actual trip.

http://vimeo.com/27465872

11:17 a.m. on February 3, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
947 forum posts

Looks like an interesting documentary. I wonder if they were using Nautiraids, Folboats, or Kleppers? I suspect they may have been using Nautiraids as a promotion for the company. I would dispute that they were the first to tackle the Grand Canyon for fun, nor were there at the "end" of the wild west. Others had attempted the Grand Canyon for fun, and the west hadn't been wild for more than half a century.

Lots of great expeditions were being done in those times. I just finished reading about one, again a French expedition, that attempted to take two Citroen half tracks from Edmonton to the Stikine River. One sank in a bog, and the other was abandoned far short of their goal.

Thanks for posting, Gary. I look forward to seeing the whole piece. 

5:06 a.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I'll definitely be watching out for this one! They look like Kleppers to me. Modern Nautiraids at least are round at the front edge of the coaming, while Kleppers have a V shape. This source says they stopped at Lee's Ferry, but is more focused on a Folboat run of the Green & Escalante.

9:25 a.m. on February 10, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
947 forum posts

Big Red, I was guessing on the Nautiraids as they are French and had just been introduced when the French did their 1938 run. Gaulic pride would probably not have them use Kleppers if a French equivalent was available. I don't see that the Folboat run was on the Escalante, but that the boat was named "Escalante". The Escalante is great run, but rarely runs at boatable levels.

7:42 a.m. on February 11, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I would have thought the same, wasn't sure when Nautiraids were introduced. But from what I can see of them, including a look at the frame at 1:34, they sure look a lot like my Klepper. I guess we'll find out when the full movie comes out.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply