The Kayak is in the Mail!

11:33 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Since last years two canoe camping trips, one of which my brother/sister-in-law bought two borrowed kayaks, my eight year old boy has been wanting one. We don't buy him video games, he doesn't have his own TV or a phone, so... Been keeping the eyes peeled for something decent that he can start off with, but still grow/advance into while still remaining at least reasonable on the budget.

Well, there are a lot of plastic tubs out there that don't seem worth more than a fancy floating cooler & I don't like junk, so the search has been long and hard. The other day though, got an e-mail from REI with a bunch of specials in the REI.com/outlet and an electronic, members only coupon for an additional 20% off any one item...

Short story. Picked up a "Riot Edge 11" for a grand total of $470.- including tax and shipped to the local REI store for free. It seems like it has quite a few, more advanced details for the price range and had some good reviews. Given that getting it from REI means that if I don't like it after, well, any period of time, I can return it, I just couldn't resist the $230.- discount. Can't wait till it gets here next Friday. Even more, can't wait to see his face!

Edge11sideview.jpg

Edge11topview.jpg

1:07 a.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

WOW! I like that one! I have an Old Town Vapor and it has been fine for seeing if I would like going, But want to upgrade....this could have been the answer at that price!

Here is mine:

From-Card-124.jpg

10:21 a.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Well the sale isn't over till Tuesday the 12th so... Here's the link to the site. You do have to be a member, but I'm pretty sure you can sign up online & it's only $20.-

http://www.rei.com/outlet/coupons/20pctcoupon.html?cm_mmc=Email_com_gm-_-OutletCoupon-_-060812-_-btn_extra_20_coupon

I was looking at an Old Town Vasham (sp?) but this price was too good to pass on.

10:57 a.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Hay guys. Try a local paddle or the like and see if they any demos to try.then you can find what hull shape, cockpit & seat ,and length you like. I have around 10 kayaks. I got most of them off Craigslist , you have to be quick. This way you don't have to pay top dallor. Lots of people just want to sell it quick. Soma are moving or just don't use it or no room. I trade or sell to get something that fits better. The first thing I look for is a good seat. I have to be comfortable . I could be on a long trip. I'm not really into whitewater. Mostly into lake river an sea kayaking. I never go under 12 footer, the wind just pushes you around. I still do river trips in my 14 footer too. After 6 years of looking I got a 16/6 Kevlar impex diamanté 2 year old for $1200. The guy was moving cross country and couldn't take it. Also I have a big fleet to take boyscouts on trips. We fish out of all the kayaks. Just some hulls you have to get used to, but a lot of fishing yaks are wider more stably and slower taking more strength to paddle.lawn sales have kayaks sometimes to.

10:43 p.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Hey Mudd,

I wish there were some paddling events around here to demo different models but in NJ, that's like smart people, they're kind of rare. I had intended to hit a really big paddle fest in the Adirondacks in may but wound up busy with work and completely missed it.

I had tried for months on craigslist and similar sites to no avail. Just don't have the time to be monitoring them 24/7. In the most densely populated state in the country, if you don't call 30 seconds after they post anything decent, it's gone.

Funny you mention people moving and not taking them... I'm a Home Inspector. One of the few perks of the job is I can often get first dibs on stuff like that & I live in an area with like a hundred lakes. Still, no luck.

Still have my eyes open for another, better canoe, or a Kayak for me.

11:24 p.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Also try your local paddle clubs . They usually know some good deals. That would be a good way to try out some kayaks to see what you like . later

11:50 p.m. on June 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Check the new england or new hampshire craigslist. There is always lots of cheap nice kayaks. I have found three pretty specific boats for a friend on there in the past six months. Post on here what your lookin for, some of us with more time on our hands will help you look.

9:57 p.m. on June 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

i am green with envy Jersey, been wanting to gete into a kayak for quite a while for the solo trips but something else always trumps it money wise. i'll just have to paddle the old canoe a little longer. it is looking better though, i paid off my truck last thursday..... HOOORAYYYY.

earl.

11:46 p.m. on June 17, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

smithcreek said:

i am green with envy Jersey, been wanting to gete into a kayak for quite a while for the solo trips but something else always trumps it money wise. i'll just have to paddle the old canoe a little longer. it is looking better though, i paid off my truck last thursday..... HOOORAYYYY.

earl.

My friends get them on Craigs list....80 bux was the last one and it does everything she needs it to do!

3:39 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

i keep my eye on craigs pretty regular much to my wifes dissatisfaction,i have taught her to hat craigs list. being a redneck farmer at heart i have spent way more money on tractor implements found on craigs than i would like to admit to her so i am on simmer mode right now but even with that i just have not found quite the right boat at the right price as of yet. still looking though.

earl.

10:11 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Just got myself a 3 year old floated 8 times perception carolina 15.5 (no rudder) with a carbon aquabond paddle and nice extra vest for 500 . screaming deal . Know i'm selling off my small boats . Just sold a mainstream riptide to a buddy. Know to put up my old town otter this next monday on craigslist with a cheap jacket and paddle for 235 or best offer. I'm gonna keep 2 small yaks for me and my wife .( for white water). come down to ga  they're always selling yaks .

mud

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply