Kayaker aborts solo Pacific voyage

2:52 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts
3:11 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

A lot of grand adventures are attempted by people that don't have enough experience to know what they are getting into.  The guy made 15 miles and quit.  Draw your own conclusions.

6:09 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Sounds like all the people that started a 1000+ mile bike tours with me, they all quit within a few days thinking it was too tedious and long.

8:03 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I wish, I wish, I could google up an old clip from CBC Newfoundland, in which the people of St. John's got to comment on the annual crowd of Atlantic crossers passing through. "Oh, my son, 'tis pure entertainment, sure."

But then there's the cost-of-rescue debate, obviously. I did find  this 2011 story with a good comment thread below, starring the witty, sarcastic locals.

11:18 a.m. on January 5, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

I used to run in college with a guy on the cross-country team.  One day he announces that he is going to run 7-8 miles tomorrow morning.  Talk comes cheap from a padded bar stool. (Paul Zarzyski)  The next day we started with five people.  None of them went more than 500 yards.  I learned the value of perserverance from that guy.

4:29 p.m. on January 25, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

I met Wave at Seaward last year. It was a chance meeting, as Seaward was closed and I had arrived late to pick up a shipment of canoes from NovaCraft. Up until then, I had not heard of him, but later did some research about his polar adventure. He seemed a nice helpful fellow, in good shape, but not the hard man one would expect for a long distance paddler, and I've met a couple of those. Equipment failures seem to have plagued him, but no one who hasn't sailed in deep water can know how hard it can be. I crewed in Swiftsure with several friends on a fellow's boat who was interested in doing the solo Transpac. He was a tech millionaire and had never sailed. He bought a second hand ocean racer and few local sailors offered to help him learn. I don't think he ever started the race. I do remember sailing down the Juan de Fuca Straits with this guy at the helm. We were close hauled with the wind off our nose, and he kept easing the boat off wind. We noticed and asked him what he was doing and his reply was that the boat was going faster. We said, "Yes it's going faster, but not in the right direction." The mountains and oceans are full of the remains of adventurers, some whose luck ran out, many who were just arrogant.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply