About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Canoe Trimaran

12:58 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,011 forum posts

I spent some time with my crazy relatives up in Anacortes, WA last week.  We have hatched a plan to lash three canoes together and build a deck out of plywood.  Then we are going to add a mast and lee boards.  For power we have a 1927 Johnson 1 1/2 hp motor that my Dad has had since before 1950. We are going to run the length of Roosevelt Lake in eastern WA about 130 miles.

Any thoughts on a sail that might work with such a set-up?   I am tempted by the old Viking, Poynesian and lateen rigs of the past.  Ideally we should be able to run, but also reach a little.  Erich are you out there?

2:35 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,737 forum posts

I would forget about a Polynesian rig. They are odd compared to a Western design. Check out the Hokulea to see what one looks like - http://hokulea.org/

I would look for something like the rig on a Laser or if that's too much, maybe an Optimist, made by the same company - http://shopna.laserperformance.com/

Hobie sells sail rigs for kayaks, but they might be a bit small for what you are doing.

http://www.hobiecat.com/?s=k

Another idea would be to use a kite rig, but I'm not sure how well that would work with a canoe going upwind.

9:32 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,011 forum posts

Tom,

Thanks.  We are looking to find a used sail of make one out of a bed sheet.  Maybe and an upper and lower boom of bamboo like the Egyptain dhows.

10:02 a.m. on June 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
405 reviewer rep
814 forum posts

ppine, I agree with Tom, the Polynesion rig would not be appropriate. Go with a Laser rig. You will only need one lee board on the main hull. A lee board on the amas will put a lot of strain on the cross bars. I would look at Ian Farrier's designs for the latter. The step will need to be really beefy. Hopefully you aren't going to use your w/c canoe for this rig...it wouldn't stand the strain. Dhow spars of bamboo? Not heard of that one. Usually they were teak or cocoanut wood, though today they use what they can get. A lateen rig is too heavy for your craft and hard to shape.

6:04 p.m. on June 4, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,011 forum posts

Erich,

Thanks for your opinions.

10:47 a.m. on June 5, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
405 reviewer rep
814 forum posts

ppine, the trick with this rig, is finding the right balance point. If the canoe are different sizes, put the smaller ones as amas. Otherwise, rig the center one a bit further forward. You might try using aluminum speed rail for the cross pieces.

You can get Laser sails for juniors and women...a little less powerful and would still certainly be fast enough off the wind.

I would love to see how it progresses.

9:13 p.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

ppine,

Please tell me you have a camera with digital video? Keep us posted.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply