Any dugout or Birch Bark boaters?

12:45 p.m. on August 9, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Has any one ever floated something as ancient man even up to the Indians could have made?

birchbark-canoe.jpg

or

kayak20and20shark.jpg

Love at first sight?

7:30 p.m. on August 9, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
914 forum posts

I have not paddled a birch canoe, but I'm told they are quite responsive. I've paddle wood/canvas a lot and can honestly say there is a difference in feel when measured against plastic boats. The wood boats seem more alive.

10:47 p.m. on August 9, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Perhaps because instead of ancient oil to make plastic, the trees that made the wood have not been dead so long. 

4:29 p.m. on August 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
914 forum posts

Wonderful thought, Gary. However, in the case of wood and canvas and birchbark canoes, it is the method as much as the material. In plastic boats, both composite and Royalex and Poly, the result is a monolithic piece forming the hull. In the more traditional materials, the ribs, planking and skin are only attached at the gunnels in a birch canoe and in a wood/canvas, though the planking and ribs are clench nailed, they move somewhat independently. The canvas in the latter is attached at the gunnels

11:09 p.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hello Gary,

Though I've paddled dugouts in the past I'm currently paddling a birchbark canoe similar to the one you present above...

Margaretn-nMe.jpg

...same maker in fact.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply