Watching a program on paddling the Yellowstone River

12:07 a.m. on August 17, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

Its called "Where the Yellowstone goes" floating the river from the north Yellowstone Park border to where it empties into the Missouri River, a 30 day trip.

Youtube trailer at: http://youtu.be/TAa_mvSViP0

Where-the-Yellowstone-goes-map.jpg

11:26 a.m. on August 17, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Great idea. You will need experience for Yankee Jim Cyn and the area around Paradise, MT. Or start below there. There are towns along the way near the river for provisions, and great fishing. Lots of room and few people. I have often thought of a long canoe or drift boat trip on this stretch of the River.

12:11 p.m. on August 17, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
870 forum posts

As ppine says, Yankee Jim is to be avoided or treated with caution. The section below Gardiner, for about 20 miles or so, is class 1 and 2, with some class 3 at medium flows. What this means, if you aren't familiar with river grades, is that while Class 2 is considered "novice", standing waves are up to three feet, trough to crest, and self rescue is the norm. Channels are obvious and some maneuvering is required. Class 3 is waves exceeding three feet, open canoes are easily swamped, tight maneuvering is required, and there will be powerful hydraulics. Not to be taken lightly. You need to be able place your boat anywhere at any time on the river, with complete confidence.

Below these rapids on the Yellowstone, you will still need to be wary. Sweepers are common on the lower river and braids in low water may end in a sweeper or log jam. There are also diversion dams on the river. Treat these with extreme caution. They are often difficult to see...just a horizon line and no distinguishing features. They nearly always have a very deadly hydraulic at the bottom and people die every year, floating placid streams, unaware of the dangerous feature on the route.

On the lower river, there is an inconvenience, not a hazard, in low water, there will be large mud flats that need to be traversed to get to shore. The mud is often clingy and deep.

7:38 a.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

Yes in the movie the floaters encounter mud flats where they have to drag the boats/rafts along. Was and interesting video.

I have a couple friends in SE Alaska right now about to embark on a raft trip down the Yukon River. They spent 2 months building a huge raft with a cabin on it and plan to float for 3 weeks however far they can get. Then when they get that far in mid September plan to use the cabin as a home to live in the Alaska Wilderness. be interesting to see how long they stick with the winter wilderness living segment.

1012791_10151713580865977_1291497513_n.j

They and another couple have built their wooden rafts above  near an old paddle boat above.

6:48 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

That is livin right there in that photo. I hope they learn to deal with the Native Alaskans on the River in summer. I got the canoe trimaran with an outboard on it idea from the people that make a living on the Yukon.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply