Oru Origami style folding Kayak

8:29 p.m. on September 15, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts
12:39 a.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
1,324 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I think it looks great for lakes and flat-water…maybe as a sea-kayak if it was a little longer (or I was more awesome). I don’t think I would be too confident with it in rivers though. So I guess…if I was living in an apartment and paddling lakes exclusively I would be really excited by this…otherwise it seems like a bad compromise.

7:01 a.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

Yeah, I was wondering about the river worthiness of it with the slit down the top. It would fill with water after the first bow wave. Interesting idea tho, maybe some will come up with a better idea for it. as invention leads to more better ones.

5:11 p.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Seems like an overlay on the seam would be in order to help shed waterdown instead of in. Not unlike shingles on a roof on just one big one.

7:31 p.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

Or inflatable inner bags to make it more stable in whitewater?

9:14 p.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
1,324 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I would probably only use that kayak with air bags...certainly if I was sea-kayaking! I haven't seen or touched the kayak myself so I cannot say for certain that it is not durable enough for whitewater...or even fast-flowing shallow streams (which I also doubt the worthiness of)...but I cannot overstate the immense amount of pressure that a whitewater boat endures. The boat must not only stay afloat (by keeping water out)...it must also maintain the shape of the hull to a large extent...because a huge dent in the side of the hull could radically alter its performance...perhaps to the point of being unusable!

In theory I like the idea...transporting and storing a boat is a hassle...but what I am sure is a significant compromise on performance to allow the boat to fold to the size of a suitcase seems to me like a bad-deal for most folks. With that said...I love on-the-edge innovation...would purchase it if I was flushed with cash...as some of it goes on to improve my being outdoors...I just don't have the money to act much on this interest...and I would not want anyone who does not have the money to experiment at this price-point to purchase the boat without being fully aware of what its strengths and limitations are.

8:40 p.m. on September 17, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
915 forum posts

I checked out Oru's site last year. As a paddler and paddling instructor, I have to look at safety concerns foremost. While I think the concept is a good one, I believe that airbags would be needed. Sea kayaks have(or should have) watertight bulkheads. Although the seam on the deck is supposed to be watertight, boats flex and watertight seams rarely are. This is not a ww boat, given the design. It is another laudable approach to the folding boat concept which has been around since the mid 19th century. Often, folding boats have a frame, over which a tough skin is stretched. I would think this would be a good alternative, perhaps a bit faster than a similar skin on frame folder which often has a fair amount of flex.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply