Temagami, Ontario - Canoe Video

5:09 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Hello fellow paddlers.  My son, Brad and I put together a video from our 5 day canoe trip in July.  Our trek takes us through Temagami - a vast wilderness area located in north-eastern Ontario.  This is a great place to explore with numerous pristine lakes and rivers. There are also some great highland hiking trails and a few stands of magnificent old-growth forests to explore. 

Cheers

-Wayne-

8:14 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Nice video and trip report. You must also be a professional videographer? I first clicked on the play arrow but nothing happened then I clicked on the name at the top of the screen and it started. How long have you been a canoeist?

1:01 a.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
424 forum posts

Nice trip...beautiful...the portage looked terrible...what about some shots of camp-life:-)

12:01 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Wayne,

Well done. Your  video is very interpretive. I couldn't even pronounce Temagami until I saw it. I have paddled the BWCA on the line with southern Ont. The landforms of glacial erosion are striking. The loons are unforgettable. Nice report on the old growth forests. Between the short growing season and the shallow soils of the Laurentian Shield it is a tough place to be a large tree.

Did you see much in the way of wildlife on your trip? You certainly earned your hotcakes on those portages. The "draggage" was familiar also, lots of small creeks connect the lakes in Ont and they are strewn with beaver dams and plenty of rocks.

I just finished a 5 day trip last Saturday on the Sacramento River. It was a very different trip to be sure. No portages, some farmland, a gallery cottonwood forest and camping on sandbars. The salmon kept us awake. A few powerboats, but most were courteous and slowed for our loaded canoes. Col Townsend Whelen decribed the canoe and the packhorse as the "gateway to peace and utter freedom." We all look forward to your next video.

3:43 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
940 forum posts

Thanks for posting, Wayne. My son was a camper at Keewaydin and just finished his second year of guiding there. A very beautiful area.

8:25 a.m. on October 10, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,533 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

This video reminds me of the old PBS series "Trailside." Nicely done!

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply