Transition **Second Place Winner**

12:27 a.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I photographed this incredible sunset over Sparks Lake in Central Oregon as the warm rays of sunlight faded and the day transitioned to a cool summer evening. The clouds are lenticular clouds, formed from tropical moisture rising over the mountain range.

3:26 a.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts
Re: Transition

No offence, but I think this guy joined to enter the contest. Nice shot for a pro.

12:43 p.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

According to his website, he is 17 years old. So maybe a budding pro? Most of the images on his site are like this one - heavily kicked up on the color intensity, though they might be HDR images. I have been doing some experimentation with HDR. But so far, I am not happy with the super-saturated appearance in most of them, or most of the ones I have seen from people who have spent a lot of time working with HDR.

11:25 a.m. on April 2, 2010 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I was thinking the same thing.....

11:44 p.m. on April 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I like it first saw it and thought it was a painting.

2:28 a.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'm not a fan of HDR too, mostly because of the unnatural halos that are prevalent in the majority of those using this technique.

I like this photo. The tones look natural and not at all like HDR (maybe HDR wasn't used at all, or sparingly blended with other techniques)

I love the cloud formation especially, and the contrast between warm and cold colours.

7:26 a.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

It has been through post production of some kind, and I like it.

8:08 a.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Beautiful!

8:39 a.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

"Stunning photo" and if this member is only 17 he looks to have a good future in photography

11:12 p.m. on April 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Maybe some post production work and a split ND filter but let's face it - the kid has a good eye and with more work like this he will have a successful future in photography.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply