About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Quinoa candy

11:51 a.m. on December 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I was bored the other day, I was making a fairly complicated sauce that required almost constant stirring. So I see a bag of quinoa on the counter besides some brown sugar. I grabbed a frying pan and started mixing, I used a lot of quinoa, a little brown sugar, some honey and just a bit of cinnamon. I started with the grain and a little butter, toasted the quinoa until it was golden brown then added the other ingredients. I cooked it over med low heat until all the sugar liquified but not quite boiled, poured it in a pirex dish to cool and was done. When I had finished my sauce it had cooled to a thick almost hard chewy consistency. I cut it up and fed it to my kids and a coupke of their friends, and everybody loved it. My kids are begging me to make it daily, choosing it even over candy or traditional deserts. With the quick sugar energy and the long slow burn of the quinoa it seems to be a pretty good snack food/desert. I get to control the amount of sugar, you can use just enough to hold it all together and it is still very sweet and delicious.

2:01 p.m. on December 5, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Cool! I'll have to try this!

7:11 p.m. on December 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Its really easy. Ive done several batches and they have all been slightly diff. Its prob the most nutritious candy you could eat. That also tastes good.

5:56 p.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I've been looking for an easy new pack-friendly snack idea and this sounds perfect, thanks for sharing, hotdogman! I will, of course, be adding chocolate...

9:23 a.m. on December 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

That quinoa is amazing. Its flavor blends with anything, im adding it to all kinds of recipes and trying new stuff using it.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply