Trail bars

2:49 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
4,255 reviewer rep
1,376 forum posts

So I got a wild idea to make my own trail bars to save money.  I really had no recipe, just my natural food instinct to guide me.  It actually worked so here is what I did:

Here are the ingredients:

Dates, Figs, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Wax Paper, THAT'S IT!

I used the entire package of dates and figs.  I think I used a 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds and 1 cup of almonds.

Chop them all to smithereens and mix them together.  It should be sticky, if not, add honey (I didn't have to).

Press them FIRMLY into a casserole dish.  I placed wax paper over the mix, placed a book over that and put all my 200+lbs on it.  Put it in the fridge for an hour or so.

Tip the dish onto a cutting board and the lump of mix falls out

Cut it into eating sized bars, wrap them in wax paper and put them in the fridge till you want to eat them.

This is one ready to be eaten.  they stay together nicely unless it gets over 80 degrees then they crumble but still taste good.

Clone #5 approves.  So did the rest of the horde. 

Of course I know you can substitute all sorts of things but that's how I did mine and I liked em so if you have a favorite recipe share it!

Oh btw, I really didn't save any $$, boxed granola bars are WAY cheaper :(.

4:14 p.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Those look good Jeff.  I might have to try that.  They kind of look like the bread recipe Gary posted a while back.  

October 9, 2015
Quick Reply