A Recipe for Trail Bars

3:19 a.m. on March 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I'm new here and thought I would post a recipe. I noticed there had been some talk earlier about trail bars and I like to take these...

Blueberry-Banana Peanut Butter Bars by Laurie Ann March

1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 cups high-energy cereal made of strong flakes, crushed
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup dried banana chips
1/3 cup white chocolate chips

At Home
Break the banana chips into small pieces and set aside. Heat the honey and brown sugar in a large pot and simmer for 1 minute. (Boiling too long will make the bars brittle.) Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter. Add the remaining ingredients and combine well.

Coat the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil. Scoop the mixture into the pan and pack down evenly. Freeze for 30 minutes. Transfer the pan contents to a cutting board. Allow to return to room temperature and then cut into 10 bars. Wrap bars in waxed paper and store in zip-top bags. The bars will keep in the freezer for three months.

This is my own recipe that appeared in Backpacker Magazine in 2008. The fun thing is that you can switch up the ingredients. Almond or cashew butter works in place of the peanut butter and you can use any combination of fruit, nuts, chocolate, seeds, etc., that you like. Be sure that you pack these down firmly when you are putting them in the pan. It is important to use a light coating of oil instead of butter when it comes to greasing the pan. Using butter makes removal from the pan a bit cumbersome.

1:02 a.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Do you have a general idea of the nutrition info on these? Thanks!

Matt

6:52 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Matt... it can vary greatly depending what the cereal you use is... which makes it somewhat difficult to calculate in a general way. I use a high protein/energy cereal made in Canada, called Vector. They do have a pretty high caloric to weight ratio.

10:26 p.m. on March 20, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Sounds yummy! Gotta try this one!

8:06 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

"2 cups high-energy cereal made of strong flakes, crushed"

Is this Corn Flakes, Granola, Grape Nuts, ...?

8:07 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

"2 cups high-energy cereal made of strong flakes, crushed"

Is this Corn Flakes, Granola, Grape Nuts, ...?

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply