Recipe: Cumberland Monte Christo Sandwich

12:23 a.m. on March 16, 2010 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I was finally able to get my website online this evening. Thought I would post this recipe from it.

Cumberland Monte Christo
Description
The Monte Cristo is a variation of the French croque-monsieur. In America it is served a number of ways but the most traditional is dipping the entire sandwich in batter and deep frying. It is then served coated with powdered sugar and usually maple syrup. In northern New York a Monte Christo is usually found as a hearty savory sandwich which is served with Thousand Island dressing. A Monte Cristo can be an easy trail cooking item in your arsenal.
Ingredients
2 Slices of Bread
1 Egg
3 Slices of Black Forest Ham
3 Slices of Turkey
2 Thin slices of Muenster Cheese
Thousand Island Dressing
Olive Oil for frying
Home Preparation
--Put a couple ounces of Thousand Island dressing into a small 2-4 ounce squeeze container
--Put some Olive Oil in a 1-2 ounce squeeze container for frying
--Egg packaging: There are 2 ways. The first is to crack the egg into a small bowl, lightly break the yolk and stir into egg white. Pour into pint sized freezerbag and freeze. The second is to simply put the egg into some kind of padded container. If carrying one egg I usually have room in my pot. For multiple eggs, we use either a Pringles can or Lays "Stax" can. Those are much more packable and protective to the eggs than most other methods.
--Package meat and cheese together
--Package bread

Trail Preparation
--In a container, you need the egg whisked so that you can soak one side of each slice of bread.
--Heat oiled frying pan over medium heat on your stove
--Place one piece of bread egg side down in frying pan. --Add meat and cheese to the top of that,and then place second slice of egg soaked bread egg side up on the meat and cheese.
--Fry until dark brown on each side and the cheese has melted somewhat.
--Serve with Thousand Island dressing as a dipping sauce.

Notes
A Monte Christo can be changed up anyway you like. Don't be afraid to try new ideas, especially new meat and cheese combinations.

Regarding frying, these do come out better when using oil in the pan. If we make these at night, we use a generous portion of Olive oil as it adds calories and fat which will help fuel your body in the evening to stay warm. For backpacking food, Olive Oil is your number one friend and should be a staple in most backpackers food arsenals.

7:46 a.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

A good monte cristo is one of my favorite meals, but it's nutritional value makes it radically irresponsible to consume on any given day; however, that might just make it completely appropriate for the backcountry environment, when you're using far more calories than normal. I'm going to have to try this one.

7:14 p.m. on March 17, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ok, now I am hungry....

5:29 p.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Great rendition, and +1 for as much olive oil as you can carry!!

12:44 p.m. on April 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

I used to work as a Sous Chef at a Mexican/American restuarant in Tucson in the 80s and was thinking the other day about the Monte Cristo sandwich, but could not remember how it was made entirely till I read your piece about it here. We used to make it with three slices of bread,turkey,ham,swiss and american cheese like a Club sandwich, then pinned together with long toothpicks and dipped in a egg batter and completely deepfryed for a few minutes till the crust was browned. Then cut into 4 wedges and served as you said with powdered sugar and french fries. It was one of our most popular entries!

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply