Simple egg and potato breakfast

1:44 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

If you don't have a dehydrator you should be able to find already cooked and dehydrated potatoes at a local store.

I have made this for beakfast the last couple of trips out and is without doubt the best breakfast I've had backpacking. It's easy and can be made even if you don't have a dehydrator. By "best" I'm talking dehydrated breakfast.

Divide a Mountain House 2 person egg breakfast in half and put in two 1qt freezer bags. It dosen't mater what kind you just want the freeze dried eggs. Vince tried dehydrating scrambled eggs but they don't come out very well.
Add 1cp cooked dehydrated shredded potatoes to each bag. I also like to add a .25cp of dehydrated bell peppers but that requires dehydrating your own.
Put .25cp of chedder cheese powder in each of two small ziplock bags and put one in each of the bigger bags.
One 2oz bag of shelf stable bacon. Can be bought at most grocery stores and the small bag that it comes in is resealable.

When you are ready to eat just dump the eggs / potatoes in your pot and add just enough water to cover plus a 1/8 of an inch. Put on your stove and bring to a boil. Turn off the stove and add half the bacon and let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add the cheese pack and stir in completely. Let it sit a couple minutes to make sure the cheese powder hydrates. This makes a BIG breakfast, enjoy

6:17 p.m. on May 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hi Gary,

This looks like a great idea, combining scrambled eggs and potato, two of my favourite foods! (plus bacon!)

We have been experimenting with dehydrating eggs and reckon it is working ok.

The trick seems to be to sepperate the eggs and dry the yolk and white seperately.

This is the before:

The after:

There is a bit more information about what we are doing here if anyone is interested.

12:31 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Sounds great. I would take along some fresh chopped chives as a garnish. They keep relatively well for a few days.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply