No Bake Trail Brownies in a bag

9:32 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

This recipe by RebeccaD was posted by sarbar on backpacker.com forums. Figured I would repost it here. Seems like a yummy recipie to try out.

Trail Brownies In A Bag
In a sandwich bag:
1 sleeve graham crackers, reduced to crumbs.
1/4 cup toasted diced pecans
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
In a quart freezer bag:
3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) chocolate chips
3 Tbsp dry milk
In camp:
Add 1/4 cup water to the chocolate bag. Bring a small pot of water to a gentle simmer (warm). Turn off the heat. Dip the tightly sealed chocolate bag to melt the chocolate. When melted, add the graham cracker crumb bag to the chocolate bag and knead to mix thoroughly. Eat warm with long handled spoons or let it cool and break into chunks.
Serves 1-4. Depends on what you consider dessert! If you love dessert then assume it will serve more like 1-2.

9:16 a.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,495 forum posts

Thanks for posting that Rambler, I copied & saved it to my 'Outdoor File'.

I will give it a try, I agree it sure sounds good.

9:34 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I made these No-Bake Powerhouse cookies when i travelled with NOLS:

No-Bake Powerhouse Cookies

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup margarine

3 Tbs. powdered milk

4 Tbs. water

1 cup oatmeal

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup nuts

1/4 cup chocolate or carob chips

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, margarine, powdered milk and wanter in a pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls onto a flat surface such as a pan lid. Let sit for about 10minutes to set. In hot weather, they might not set well.

Makes 20-24 (4 servings) cookies

927 calories per servings! great for once your metabolism begins to boost!

10:46 p.m. on August 22, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Sarbar (Sarah) is a great source for recipes and trail cooking ideas. She is a regular on TLB and has her own website with dozens of free recipes at www.trailcooking.com

One of her specialties is freezer bag cooking, so much of her site is devoted to that. She has a cookbook, but I think virtually everything in the book is available online for free.

One of the great things about her site is that most of the recipes Sarbar posts come with pictures, so you can see what the end result is supposed to look like.

10:18 a.m. on August 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Mikeybobs recipe sounds like something a girl I used to know in Alaska in 1978 used to make ecept she added rice chex to the end mix.

1:01 a.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Awesome guys, thanks for all the great recipes!

5:40 a.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I believe that credit for the recipe, although posted by sarbar, goes to RebeccaD from Backpacker, if I remember correctly.

7:40 a.m. on September 17, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,097 forum posts

I believe that credit for the recipe, although posted by sarbar, goes to RebeccaD from Backpacker, if I remember correctly.

Thanks. I've edited the original post to reflect that credit.

10:15 p.m. on September 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Thanks Alicia... I'm a stickler for ensuring the proper source is credited especially with the recipes I post on my own site. Your attention is much appreciated. It's a neat recipe, isn't it?

8:39 a.m. on September 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,097 forum posts

Thanks Alicia... I'm a stickler for ensuring the proper source is credited especially with the recipes I post on my own site. Your attention is much appreciated. It's a neat recipe, isn't it?

It had me at "Brownies."

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply