Cake baking tips

1:40 p.m. on December 23, 2010 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

As new year is coming soon, and I don't like indoor party's that much, I'm thinking about doing something different with the girl I'm dating. I'm thinking about a night out with bone fire etc. And I need your help with camp backing.

I got this cast iron square pan that I want to use for baking a cake or something like a cake - bronis, cookies or anything simple and sweet.

Do you think it's going to work? I was thinking that maybe it'll be better if I take the ready dough with me instead of making it on the spot and then just to the baking when we are out?, it will be less messy...right? any recipes ideas? something that taste good and is not easy to burn :)

Any ideas will be great!

IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg

10:36 p.m. on December 25, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Nirotem- First let me give you props for the date idea. Thats fantastic !  Generally I have used bread. I never tried pie crust but I just might to test the idea.  For apple Pie

take cinnamon bread 2 slice's. One slice butter one side and add filling. Second sliced butter on side and close and cook till light brown. It compress's do to the pie iron.

Cherry pie

White bread instead and same idea as above.

Rocky Road

Choc bread which you can get from a bakery.

butter bread on one side fill with marshmellows. Macadameia nuts chopped. Almond and choc chips  some banana.  or use white bread. 

hope this helps ya. But love your idea.

6:29 a.m. on December 26, 2010 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

denis-daly: thanks! your idea may work - I have tried this type of compressed toasts before, at home...and it may work...

Let's see if someone have an idea with dough? I'm not going to hike in there, going to be car camping so wight isn't an issues.

Right now I'm also thinking about bananas stuff with chocolate wrap in silver foil...

8:49 a.m. on December 31, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

A little bit different for the date dessert but what about a chocolate fondue? We do that (even in the backcountry) and it was how I ended up getting engaged. Apparently the way to my husband's heart was through his tummy... lol.

Anyway, it's quite seductive and if you like I could post my method for making it.

5:44 p.m. on January 1, 2011 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

my sister in-low gave birth and the date got cancel (such is live). I think I have a good idea how the make the fondue - I used to make a real thick one by melting chocolate with cream and drink it out of the pot - work magic at a end of a long day :)

12:51 p.m. on January 2, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Sometimes I use a Toblerone bar to make it truly decadent. Yum!

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply