Gear Review Feedback?

12:19 a.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Just wanted to drop a quick line and introduce myself to all y'all in the Trailspace community. I'm a relatively new member, here, and have finally taken the time to develop a tent review I'm pretty proud of. 

This one began short 'n sweet without a lot of pictures, and with only one cold-weather trip under its belt. I figured after its second trip this weekend, it deserved a revision and some more pictures.

Not looking for up-votes, here, just feedback on how helpful this review is, and what you'd like to see or know more about in the future.

The MR33 is a discontinued tent, and I deliberately reviewed it because there's not a lot of information about it left on the internet aside from technical specifications. What you'll read here is entirely composed of my personal impressions of the tent. It goes both ways, and I hope to answer the questions I once asked myself before I bought this tent, unable to find anything to read about it.

I'm the type of guy who'll continually edit and add to his reviews as he learns more about his equipment, so, who knows...helpful advice may find its way right into this review or my next one!

Please take a look if you're a moment, and more importantly, let me know what you think!

Thank you, friends!

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/manta-ray-33/#review27798

8:35 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

good review. only problem is you reviewed a discontinued tent.

9:08 p.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

It is a good review!

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Trailjester on this one (sorry!), I don't think the fact that it's discontinued is a 'problem.' I can't be the only one secondhand shopping for gear that isn't sold new anymore. When I do, I'm pretty happy to find reviews. And if I can't find them, I end up reading a bunch of reviews for similar products by the same manufacturer to get a sense of how they do overall.

So all reviews are helpful to somebody, somewhere, sometime, I think. Goodness knows I need all the help I can get. :)

8:41 p.m. on May 26, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Islandess, you make a good point. I wrote this review because there were, literally, NO other reviews. Nor were there any pictures of the tent apart from TNF stock photographs. It's also nice to mention things you won't see in TNF specs, whether it be simple livability, or clever ways of finding multipurpose options in the design (whether or not they were intended by TNF).

Thanks both y'all for the feedback and giving it a read, and - with any luck - I'm hoping to have a more current tent in the near future to give as thorough a review for.

In the meantime, TNF? For as much interest as I've seen in the Peregrine and Manta Ray models, it wouldn't hurt to release the next generation of this design. Hint, hint.

5:13 p.m. on June 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,793 reviewer rep
797 forum posts

I bought a discontinued backpack sitting on the clearance shelf at my local REI last winter. A quick check of TrailSpace on my smartphone sealed the deal.

I've also reviewed some items that are still in production, but not being carried by the stores TS monitors.

2:06 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

maybe I shouldn't have said "problem"... my error.

4:04 p.m. on June 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

"where you shop is just as important as what you are shopping for",agree 100%,good review.how many times have you looked for customer reviews on equiptment you were considering purchasing and none were available?i rely on customer reviews as much as "expert" reviews.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply