Camping in the Bishop Creek area

12:25 a.m. on February 20, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

This was from a little day hike this weekend on the Horton Creek Trail outside of Bishop, CA.

Horton-Creek-full.jpg

and it also involved snow camping!!!  Yes, there's snow there!  :-D

But seriously, it was cold ... in the mid-upper teens in the morning.  That's cold based on my camping preferences ...  though as you can see by my hiking shirt above, it warmed up nicely in the sun during the day.

Here's my trusty ole Mtn Hardwear Skyview 1.5 newly refurbished with new door zippers courtesy of Mountain Hardwear.

_DSC0300.jpg

11:37 a.m. on February 20, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Wonderful picture!  It looks like your "Day hike" would be one of my "bucket list" hikes!

11:52 p.m. on February 20, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Thanks Seth!  I hope my photo by the sign, with Mt. Tom in the background, wasn't misleading.  I didn't actually summit the mountain.  It really was just an afternoon day hike partly off-trail up to a ridge, where I turned around when I started post holing up to my thighs :).  From there I looked longingly up the canyon towards Horton Lake (a destination on my bucket list as I envision it must be spectacular, nestled among the peaks).

_DSC0421.jpg

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply