Snowshoeing in Sequoia National Park

2:10 a.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

This was on the trail toward Alta Peak in Sequoia National Park, a couple miles from the peak.  I turned around because I ran out of time (and because the trail crossed a steep slope, and I saw a couple mini avalance snowballs, or at least that's what I imagined they were).  I'm lacking in experience in winter conditions to make me comfortable crossing such a spot, especially when solo, and especially on a trail with no fresh tracks (so I am confident there wasn't anyone for at least a couple miles in any direction).

Anyway it was a most excellent hike.  I was in the fog and clouds hiking up to the ridge at Panther Gap.  A while later, along the ridge, the clouds began to clear and I was treated to an amazing view with an undercast.

I camped in the new winter camping area at Wolverton "snow play area" in the park.  Unfortunately the winter camping at Lodgepole campground is no more.  Due to budget constraints they closed Lodgepole for the winter.  Apparently this was due to maintenance costs (and running the heat to maintain the rest room).  The new camping area isn't as nice (it's basically a parking lot) but it's better than the place being shut down completely.

self-SequoiaNP-800.jpg

_DSC0688_1280.jpg

10:57 a.m. on March 13, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Wonderful pictures BH! I've never heard it called "undercast," I always thought of it as an "ocean of clouds."

11:59 a.m. on March 16, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,286 forum posts

This park is overlooked by many.  I was there recently and really enjoyed the forests.  It is best in the off-season by not crowded considering its location near so many people.  We had a much better experience  than in a place like Yosemite.  For a day hike, we found the largest tree in the National Forest system about 4 miles in, a giant old sequoia with a diameter of 25-30 feet.

11:46 p.m. on March 18, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Thanks Seth.  I first hear the term "undercast" years ago in the White Mountains of NH, where occasionally people would be on the Presidentials and see a solid sea of cloud underneath them.  

@Ppine, yeah, that park gets its share of visitors, but nothing like Yosemite.  The winter camping area was quite busy on my recent trip, though it's small...

11:30 a.m. on March 20, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,286 forum posts

The large tree I was thinking of had a circumference of about  35-40 feet and a diameter of maybe 15 feet.  Beautiful and varied forests with a lot of diversity.  The spring and summer have some noticeable smog problems when viewing the vistas.  That was the only thing I didn't like about the Park and surrounding Nat Forests.

10:11 a.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Very pretty pics, Bill!

9:49 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Thanks Alicia!

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply