Snow Camping close to home again

9:28 p.m. on March 25, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Another trip a short walk over snow from home.  Another snow camping trip, many open areas without snow.  Spanish Peak over my right shoulder.  If you've done the PCT, you might remember it.

Gear-sale-014_opt.jpg

Melting snow with one of my Optimus 00, this is the Patent.
Gear-sale-015_opt.jpg

Breakfast, blueberry jam over pancakes.
Gear-sale-018_opt.jpg

10:18 p.m. on March 26, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,280 forum posts

That breakfast looks good :)

10:11 a.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

My wife and I camped on the snow last night close to home too. Smack in the field out back testing a new to us but older tent.

It's been out there since the day after we bought it.
DSC08625web.jpg

She's one O' them high paid super models ;-)

last night was just down to 30. besides testing thing like how much water we can make to condense on the vestibule, I am testing a variety of rags to wipe it all up. For the most part that purple center is what gets most wet, and it is outside the main tent body.

Speakin' of breakfast just how were pan cakes created in a pot? I have yet to master pan cakes with a Svea 123R. That hadda be a trick..

2:08 p.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Sham wows for the condensation. I cant make pancakes on my stove either, but ive got a cast iron griddle that makes great pancakes, johnnycakes or steaks for that matter. I use ot on a fire every time I car or wheeler camp. I heat it up really hot then pull it off the coals, cooks three or four before needin reheating. Pretty heavy tho, not very backpack friendly.

10:13 p.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

hotdogman said:

Sham wows for the condensation. I cant make pancakes on my stove either, but ive got a cast iron griddle that makes great pancakes, johnnycakes or steaks for that matter. I use ot on a fire every time I car or wheeler camp. I heat it up really hot then pull it off the coals, cooks three or four before needin reheating. Pretty heavy tho, not very backpack friendly.

yeah I got a bike wipe super cloth of some sort in orange and or blue. I dedicated a orange one to the tent. This is a base camp tent for me.. it's a bit much for me and a back pack, but I also have a bob sled for fishing and with that i can drag a base camp into the woods up in the kanc easy for weekend play, and burn wood if i want. 

We can both cook on coals, but i would need to come up with a fry pan bag and a iron griddle like yours i bet bag too to keep soot off modern gear.

Only way i can see pancakes on a rocket jet burner is using cast iron and more than one stove at the same time.

Seems strange to have a winter tent in the field to me. I can watch the tv, text on here and go camping for a 2 minute hike. :-)

More or less i still have 100% snow cover,  do you? Bit not for much longer........

10:10 a.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

No, we have lost most of our snow. There is quite a bit in the deeper woods, anywhere there is good shade. My yard has been bare for days, its been fifty or close to it for a week. Im gonna try to use the cast iron with a pocket rocket stove, I should be able to heat the cast iron to a point where I can remove it from the heat to cook. Ive found that it works best off the heat, no hot spots that way. And yea, it has its own bag I made out of an old backpack. Its old school pack cloth, really rugged cause that thing is heavy. I made it really big and waterproofed it, so it doubles as a camp sink. I made four little pockets so that I can stand tent pegs around the edge so the sides stay up. Works really well, I even sand scrub in it, in my opinion sand is the best way to remove soot.

12:23 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I don't pack my old ways gear on my back, so it all lives in a wooden box, and i don't pack that either. Most primitive events are car camping events. We think of trucks as iron horses. :-)

I do have canvass bags for fire set irons, which are coal pokers in my case for the 2 in the ground and the cross bar on top passing thru the eyes. Assorted other items are hand forged like a trivet with 1 hole that moves up and down a fore poker up right. I use a chain and several hooks. Most of the hooks I forged myself too as any store bought or trader's blanket are always to fat and or heavy to suit me.

Trecking is another thing.. going lite there is everything... it is like back packing but not the same, and because you don't have any modern anything, and nothing is weight saving materials as we know them, so we tent to go with out or end up dragging one or another items a tobbogan maybe to haul gear.

Certainly no cast iron.... My fire set would not go trecking either, and if i needed anything like a fire set it would be made of sticks i just find.

I have done trecks with just my rifle and it';s shooting bad, and a bed roll wrapped over a haversack, but you can get hungry, wet cold and tired.

Most of that sort of thing was based near my x wife house which once of course was partly my house. up off the Bear Notch. other folks had parking in the door yard and we could just enter the NF from right there, as old logging rds still exist on both sides if the bear notch, and there were clear cuts, and select cuts where camping was easy and water was good.

The right guys in winter meant we could bring small wall guns (little cannons) in their to protect us from the heathens on raiding party's.

Ever so slowly I am working up my little cannon 45 pounds of bronze to sit  or share several mounts. The project has lost some importance with age and other guys retiring from the game due to it.

I got lazy lazy last night and slept in..... The last snow looked like this on the Trikaya, which took it well.

12:24 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

DSC08615web.jpg
DSC08616web.jpg

Don't dare try to add pics after texting as i get bounced by the system and loose it all.

12:27 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

DSC08614web.jpg
DSC08618web.jpg

The Kelty Vortex II doth protest! But it lives for another day. I have no idea why I can be texting, add a pic from the album and get logged off, which then lose everything, so this way is a safer way for me.

This is all in the field just out back. If you like go see the albums and you will see sheds, the shop the house maybe the barn in the distance.

12:01 a.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

For bping trips, I use a Trangia non-stick aluminum lid I bought new as a part.  There is a small company in Utah that sells Trangia stuff.  My kerosene fired 00 was turned down some (pressure released) as it is non-regulated, quick with the camera, turner, batter.  They got a little browner than I usually make, but that is what may happen with old classics.  The shown pot was to melt snow, heat water, cook dinner.  I had a little TiGoat .550L ti pot for heating coffee water and hot cereal in the AM, that way I don't have to clean the dinner pot.  On longer trips, I'll cut some gear to lighten the load, I can bring a little extra weight on trips so close to home.

Duane

10:56 a.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

What is kerosene fired 00?

There is a couple typos that i got figured which made it difficult to get figured, but I sure am not one to tawk! ;-)

Sometimes typos, combined with pc 'meme' (ie DIY, LOL, TLDR) and then add the high tech for 'tactical pots and assorted other I begin to feel like an Egyptian! :-)

I mean like this..... 'TiGoat .550L ti pot' I don't smoke anything, but to me it looks like a really fast car or the some 'heavy ganga dude'

I am pretty sure i am not crazy. Once i had to take a test on the book with no words..... 

The nice doctor was wearing a woman's silk scarf not that it made any difference, and he did have a speech impediment too a problem with any words with a 'th' in them.

Anyway this book had a lot of ink spilled on it and there was no text i could see, and he asked me over and over what images i saw.. I just said i see a lot of spilled ink and the text if there was ever any,  is lost and gone. The ink is nice colors but there is nothing to see. Perhaps whom ever spilled the ink should have been more careful and not closed the book, but s/he sure did manage a feat since almost every page has spilled ink....

At that he became somewhat upset, because somewhere in that ink he saw butterflies and rainbows.

Like then, now sometimes i just don't understand the world I live in.

What is kerosene fired 00?  ;-)

6:42 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Oh Boy did it ever rain hard here today. Just dumped on us. The brook is wild, the snow became less, just poured. The trikaya has a minor seam leak, but i was unable to be there to see where. Once i get it dry to bring in loose,  I will set it up in better weather and take a hose to it. All the water pooled at the ft right pole as you look at it, and amounted to about 1 table spoons worth hardly a bother.

After the rain ended the air smelled like fresh caught trout.

7:31 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

LP,

:)

Tigoat is a small cottage company that makes gear for us bpers. 

ti=titanium.

.550L is the size of the pot, a little over half a litre/liter.

Optimus 00 is a old brass (brassie) stove, made in Sweden, I had two different style 00's on this trip.   It was made by Optimus, the model was "00", but one has "Patent" on it and was a better quality brass than the other which was not pictured.  The Patent stoves look very nice, have a nice color.  Check out Classic Camp Stoves, the Stove Reference section, under Sweden, then Optimus.

Kerosene fired--Kerosene was the fuel used in these, that is all they burn.  The down side is any melted snow takes on a kerosene fume essense, so I'll have to stick to Coleman fuel in the future that can be used in stoves using gas.  Otherwise, the old kero stoves are super cool.  I collect stoves, and now have quite a few, including over 2 dozen MSR (Mountain Safety Research) stoves, some in multiples.  9, MF, G, GK etc.  Still looking for a white pump.

Duane

8:13 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Oh now I know what I have been looking at as a dust collector over at the Brass Heart Inn. i knew it was a stove of some sort but didn't know what and it's way to big to suit me. It isn't all there either.

I have 3 Svea's, ( 2 ) 123's and a 123R which are smaller but have a similar look with out the wind screen, run on white gas. I am not telling you anything I Know. I know the stench of K-1 from running Aladdin mantle lamps as a light/heat source for many winters counting this one.

That red dye is getting to be a problem in these lamps glazing the wicks. I assume you know that, but this year there appears to be even more red dye. used to be about 14 days between maintenance, and this year it's about each 4. 

Clear K-1 is getting harder to find in NH, Lowe's has it for a high price in 5 gallon steel cans.

I have a MSR  Dragonfly, that I am forever calling a whisper but that's just CRS. I haven't really used that much but have had it fired up. Some things i just have a hard time getting around when there is gizzmos and no art like the Svea's have.

For grins one day over winter I took the aluminum pot for the svea 123R and put it to a cotton buff wheel with white diamond compound and made it look like chrome. All I use that for is to hold sterno to jump the stove.

I won't eat off that type of alloy, in part because i work with alloy every day, breathing dust from milling. Camping I eat from Stainless or wooden items mainly. The alloy thing is just that I have so much exposure, unlike most people.

Thanks for not minding my above madness. My wife comes from a long line of word butchers and much of that seems to have rubbed off on me. ;-)

Bill C

9:52 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Lodge Pole, I can understand you, I have a poor memory too.  I have three 123/123R's too.  Great little stoves, I never knew about them until a few years ago, that was the start for me collecting stoves.

Buy K-1 kerosene, even if you have to buy it a gal. at a time.

I have two Dragonflies, one brand new still.  I bought a berniedawg silent cap for it, sure makes it run so much quieter and it simmers great.

Duane

10:11 p.m. on April 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Well I am expert in getting in trouble, and people say I tawk funny.

I am hard of hearing but can sort of, but then the things i think people say to me are just plain foolish..... I use that non sense to have fun.

What else can I do?

7:41 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I like messing with younger people, with me looking and getting older, what can they do to me?  It's all fun isn't it?:) I may grow up one of these days.

I really like it when I pass other bpers on the trail, gray beard and hair and they kinda look at you and wonder what the ____?  Move over, let me by.  They're gonna be more amazed this summer with my new UL bping gear.  Keep on a truckin!

Duane

10:33 p.m. on April 3, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I got my wife bad today...... I had to go to a Toyota Dealer far, and had never been there before for a special pre bent hose. Leaving I pulled off in the van we took, but forgot to set the hand held gps i use to track miles.

The PA system came on from the dealer but we were a bit away, stopped gps out the window. I could tell my wife heard that a bit over the running engine but I knew she would expect i didn't. So I brought the gps back in and put it to my ear and called Hellllooo?????????

She looked at me like I had 2 heads, and started drilling me on CRS. I tried to keep a straight face but failed.

yeah I hear ya on the gray beard thing. That carrys over to motorcycles. 

I got a 1981 Yamaha xs 850 sh that is better looking than new, and have added on little things like ciggy butt lighter sockets for battery charger plug in's, and of course it runs power both ways.

It is one of the bikes that has both a kick start and a start motor, so with both you can have fun, and people think the lighter is stock too.

Most kids think it is a modern retro prototype model.

On the trail I usually let my wife lead since she is newer to back packing. She gets hand me downs so her gear looks as well used as any old gray beards would and she has silver hair too. The younger see her take a double stare and then I speak up and make claim that she won't bite.

The looks I get for that are about like anyone would get for yellng in a library.

1:28 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I had to sell my '92 sport bike, a CBR600 due to neck issues looking up and its getting older.  I have a low mileage KLR650 with 1500 miles now, fun to ride, I sit up and don't have to crane my neck.  Looking forward to some Forest Circus road camping with it and road trips to the coast, down from the mountains.

Duane

2:14 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Do you have big tin cans as saddle bags on that? There sure are times i wish my Nomad was one of those. But i have ideas about what a 2 up bike is and this one can tow a trailer anywhere in the lower 48.

And yeah my neck would never allow that craning. I broke that back in 79 in a crash getting hit by drunk drivers at 1 in the afternoon on their high school grad day. At the time it about killed me the broken neck was far from the worst of that one.

I can be a joker in just about anything. After my 01 nomad was stolen the time came to replace it. I keep up good insurance.

The day i did was also very close to the time of the Blessing if the Bikes in Colebrook NH. I like that ride in the Great North Woods.

So the timing was good for a prank, and i went on the 06 which was a used bike with 1,413 miles on it... I gave that bike a hard look over and could not find a thing wrong. it was either too slow as Nomads are slow, or it was too heavy, more than a HD Road King and longer too. This one still had ever paper sticker there ever was on a new bike and so off i went with a paper state tag too, and a new lid on my noggin with new stickers on that too.

I looked just like it was my very first ever bike LOL When I got to the Blessing I went to area my friends normally park and stopped pointed right directly at a whole row of bikes, mostly harley's, and some guys were hangin' at that spot talking and i looked over and said 'Anyone got any idea how to put this in neutral?' Doing my best to look stupid which isn't very hard to do LOL

The look of terror struck alrighty on the faces of all these guys,  but my Buddie's wife heard my voice,  and said Hey Bill just knock it off! Don't worry,  he just got a new bike and is just back from crossing the USA. (bummer)

2:17 p.m. on April 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Oh! do you still have snow? I do but it's hard on the run now. Mid mud season twixt snow blower and lawnmower. So the snow is breaking up and where there is more shade than light there is still snow, and the other way around for where there is light.

3:51 p.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

The snow has melted except one small piled up patch from plowing our private dirt road.  I can't garden until the dirt dries enough for peas, I can start maters inside as soon as the moon is right.

My motorcycle has side racks, I mounted some ABS pipe on each side last weekend to hold tools, I have a nice Wolfman top bag, I can strap stuff easily on behind it, it has lots of great straps.  Just need the weather to turn back to nice.

Duane

10:36 p.m. on April 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I may have more left over snow pack than that.. But today was pushing it hard. I am back off the road 1/2 mile and 3/4ers of the driveway was a part of a oval horse race track. The rest of the track is a trail but a wide trail.

I rent, just so you don't get the wrong idea. But i have access to everything here. 1 ton diesel dump with a 9.5 foot blade, and Bob Cat Skid Steer.

I made a garden for my wife when we first came to be here, from nothing and there was no top soil, so i did what I could and in time there became plenty of top soil for an area 60 x 100 ft. Then another patch but i never really put a tape measure to it.

The LL is happy to just let me set things up so they flow.

Last summer we lost on of the LL digs a part rottie part newfie, named Lucy. She was a snow dog sartin! And I coined up a joke saying she was posing for Pant House magazine. Of course her earnings went into the Snow Bank.

Pretty bad I know, but out here you either get used to watching the grass grow or you move back to a city. 

Today there were plenty of bikes out and i bet they will be for the weekend, but i like to hold off a little... let cagers see the bikes are back before i go test the water eh..... I took a hard hit May 10 1979 and am in no hurry to try that again.

Then August 1st 2010 I hit a jeep cherrokee that hit a moose. That moose stopped that jeep Right Now fast. I laid down 85.5 feet of rubber in a dead straight line, had time to think over which i wanted to hit, the jeep or the moose which was likely to come off and stay going the way it was going to the left side of the road and it did too.

By the time I hit that jeep I was in 2nd gear with the engine off using both brakes and engine braking, and I came to rest with my ft tire up against the gas tank skid plate on the jeep. and then the moose came off, and the bumper sat down on my ft fender trapping the bike up right.

I couldn't have dropped that bike if i wanted too. it was 10 pm I was terrified a car would hit us shortly from behind and yelled at my wife to get off. She was in some shock and didn't believe we were alive. She was reluctant to move and i was trapped if she didn't. I got pics of everything but the jeep. I still don't know what dark color that jeep was, and went I went hunting for it the next day all the cops gave me was a run around.

By now you know I like my stories, and I like them to be full circle, but a hunk is missing of this tale.

I rode the bike with that bad ft fender till Winter and over that winter i bought another fender.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply