At the ORSHow Open Air Demo

9:09 p.m. on January 29, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

Barb and I spent a good part of last week at the Outdoor Retailer Winter Show. The OR Shows traditionally start with an "Open Air Demo", at which many of the gear manufacturers have their new (and prototype) gear available to try out. A friend, Eric Larsen, who traversed Antarctica (plus attempted it on bicycle) and has been trying to do the North Pole (there are problems with decreasing ice coverage for the Arctic Ocean) had his 350 pound sled with all his gear on display. You could try hauling the sled using some new snowshoes that one of his sponsors had to loan out. The first photo is me trying to haul the sled. Unfortunately, I started with the sled positioned so I had to haul it over a small snowbank, plus the track was not packed down. Heaviest sled I have hauled previously was 160 pounds, with better snow conditions (less than half the weight). So the Old GreyBearded One didn't get very far - about 12 feet on the uphill section. The first photo shows me struggling to get moving. Seth was supposed to take this photo, but got occupied with something else. So Barb took it instead.
AltaORS015.jpg
That's Eric on the left behind the sled.

Eric, Barb and I posed for the photo below. And yes, Barb tried to pull the sled as well. But at exactly 5 feet tall, she was at a bit of a disadvantage.
AltaORS016a.jpg

1:15 a.m. on January 30, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

I have a friend who climbed the shorter of the two peaks of Denali and he said they pulled sleds. He said that the climb pulling a sled was his worst experience ever in the wilderness. 

So you stated that Barb's 5 foot height made it hard to pull the sled? Is it easier if one is taller like me at 6'7". I have not winter camped since Yosemite in Jan-May 1980. I have snowshoed in winter in Jackson WY but never pulled a sled.

How far did Eric go on a bicycle in Antarctica, and did he ride one of those 3 inch diameter tire bikes? I saw them in Alaska when I lived in Anchorage the beginning of winter of 2006-07, seemed pretty popular there for riding on snow.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply