What to do when you need a rainfly for a discontinued tent?

1:28 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
121 forum posts

Interested in a rain fly for The North Face, North Star. Warranty department at TNF says there are no more fly's available for this tent in their inventory. What to do?

Thanks!

NK-

3:46 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I have heard the claims (that I believe) that The North Face ECWT (Extreme Cold Weather Tent) and the the Eureka ECWT that was commissioned from both companies by the US armed forces were built on the same foot prints as the North Star.  I have not set up mine side by side yet (I have all three).  If we could figure that one out that would be an option as there are ever once in a while a spare white (artic) or camouflage fly from the ECWT tents on eBay.  I have never seen a fly only for sale. I have seen a body only on sale from EBay.  Did you just snag the TNF North Star body off of EBay.

The only other option that I see is to borrow a fly from some one so that you have a pattern so that you can build a new one.  I think tht you will find this option unafforable.  I had a new fly built for my TNF Ring Oval Intention 12+ years ago when prices were much more resonable and even then it was silly expensive.  You would have to find a person who really knows what their doing when it comes to working with gear.  The person who did mine indicated he would never do it again.  The big cost was the labor so if you could sew yourself I see this as an option depending how you value your time.

The TNF North Star:

Body only
-KGrHqR-l-E9Hm73Po1BPZ-ieOtTQ-60_3.jpg

With it's fly
Northstar2.jpg

TNF (Eureka) ECWT:

Body only
Ecwsdome.jpg

With it's camo fly
Ecwsdome2.jpg

With it's Artic Fly
Ecwsdome3.jpg

6:27 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

In my last post I said: "I have heard the claims (that I believe) that The North Face ECWT (Extreme Cold Weather Tent) and the the Eureka ECWT that was commissioned from both companies by the US armed forces were built on the same foot prints as the North Star."

I should have said : The TNF North Star is purported to have been built on the same foot print as the TNF ECWT(Extreme Cold Weather Tent) and the Eureka ECWT that were commissioned from both companies (first by TNF and later by Eureka) for the US armed forces. 

In my last post I said: "I have never seen a fly only for sale."

I should have said: I have never seen a fly for the TNF North Star sold with out accompanying the body as a complete tent.

So sorry about my bad proof reading skills.

7:29 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Cool tent (s) Apeman! That's four poles?

2:44 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey Trout,  Ok, Since I'm currently unable to set any large tents up due to injury so I'll be doing this out of memory and I could be wrong on the pole thing regarding the ECWT's. 

The top two pictures are of the TNF North Star and used six poles.  It also had two smaller poles to hold out the small awning and was held out by the plastic pieces you see on the front of the the tent body and a third small pole to hold up the chimney as the chimeny could be pulled down when necessary.  Attached to the fly are 4 small poles (like the ones that hold out the awning on the front of the tent) held to the fly by cords to hold the fly away from the tent body.  TNF face made two styles of fly for the North Star (one with a chimeny/turrent and one without).  The one without the chimney is seen in the picture above in my post.  The foor of the tent can be opend up so that the ground or snow is exposed for cooking.  The chimeny was built on the fly for cooking as well as for better venting.  Here is a picture of the tent/fly with the chimney.
north-star-turent.jpg

Here is a close up of the chimeny

northface-turrent.jpg

The North Star was a very limited and expensive tent made for expeditons and that is one of the reasons their so rare.  There are many more bodies around due to the UV degredation of the flys.

I believe that all three tents have 64 feet of interior space with the ECWT's having additional 30 square feet of vestibule area.

The ECWT came with 9 poles if I remember correctly.  Six poles for the tent and three for the fly.  The flys can be set up seperatly from the tent body for storage, cooking and or temp shelter with out a foot print.  If you have the original 9 poles and an extra three poles you can erect three seperate structures.   When the fly is used in conjunction with the body you have what is truly a "bomb proof" shelter.  The North Face version was made heavier that the Eureka version and has purportedly withstood 107 mph winds in US army tests/action.  If I recall the US Goverment paid $3800 each in bulk for the TNF version of this tent and then $3200 in Bulk for the Eureka version.  I'm fairly confident that the fly's from the ECWT could be adapted to fit the North Star, though you would have to add three extra poles that the original North Star fly did not use.  I will test this theory when I become more mobile.

3:25 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
121 forum posts

Apeman-

Thank you for the wealth of information and photographs. This is why I have come to enjoy this website so much! Of course, bidding on the fly-less North Star currently featured on e-bay would be contrary to my efforts at simplifying and owning less but when you have the bug............sure love those old tents (and the new ones). One of my favorites was the Sierra Designs, 3 Man Hexagon which was destroyed by a bear in NW New Jersey some years ago. With reference to the ongoing discussion of tent design and wind shedding capability, that animal succeeded where many ferocious storms over the years could not.

With the North Star, I suppose one could make do for general camping with an artfully configured overhead tarp.

NK-

5:03 a.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Just a guess, but with those intersecting poles creating such definite, taut shapes, couldn't one just tape stencils to the pole lines and sew them all together in some fashion? As is done with a tailors dummy? Might be fun?

You would need a wide roll of industrial paper or some cheap fabric to make the stencils. I think newspapers would be messy.

1:44 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

pin sap said:  One of my favorites was the Sierra Designs, 3 Man Hexagon which was destroyed by a bear in NW New Jersey some years ago.  Was this the tent?

Sierra-Designs-Octadome.jpg

Pathloser said "Just a guess, but with those intersecting poles creating such definite, taut shapes, couldn't one just tape stencils to the pole lines and sew them all together in some fashion? As is done with a tailors dummy? Might be fun?

You would need a wide roll of industrial paper or some cheap fabric to make the stencils. I think newspapers would be messy."

I would think someone could build a new fly but you would have to have extensive knowledge and experience with sewing. The guy who built the fly for my TNF Ring OI had 20 years of gear sewing experience and said he would never do a fly again and he had the old fly and the tent to work with. But if someone wants a challenge they should go for it as I'm not one to try and find way's not to do things, just the opposite!!

Here is a thread that has a post taht shows the fly on the OI that I had made after the first one became UV degraded.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/89155.html

3:34 p.m. on April 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
121 forum posts

Apeman-

pin sap said:  One of my favorites was the Sierra Designs, 3 Man Hexagon which was destroyed by a bear in NW New Jersey some years ago.  Was this the tent?

No, this one:

3-man-1972-Tent-Bodie.jpg

3-man-1972catalog-tiny.jpg

This author was always in love with this
particular tent within the Sierra Designs tent line. He never owned one himself,
but coveted the one his brother owned, and frequently took it on trips, such as
a well-remembered one into the heart of the Grand Tetons. He especially
remembers a camp on a high bench at the very head of Cascade Canyon, with the
"Grand" itself leaping into the sky across the canyon, as beautifully framed by
the wide door of the SD 3-Man tent each morning...To me, the 3-Man represented
an imaginative fusion of the Native American Teepee with modern nylon and
aluminum. It also represented a bold move away from the A-frame tent designs of
the era..... In conversation with George Marks, it was not surprising that the
3-Man is a tent that Mr. Marks has thought of maybe bringing back in some form.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/SierraDesigns2.html

NK-

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply