Q&A for North Face products/years/styles, etc.

3:16 p.m. on February 3, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Due to the growth of this classifieds forum, there are many questions being asked on what years certain North Face products were made, what colors they came in, the difference between components on models and so forth. Please post these questions in this thread. At this time there is no specific Q&A forum to coincide with the classifieds.

3:32 p.m. on February 4, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

Ok - I've got a question for ya - I've got a North Face internal frame pack - blue codura nylon - large top pocket - closes with nylon straps - two zippered side pockets - leather bottom. I bought it back in the mid 1970's - it was either a "ruthsack" or a "kaksack" - (the one it's NOT had a zippered front panel rather than a top flap) - I'm not looking to sell it - just trying to remember what the heck it was called!

Thanks

12:37 a.m. on February 5, 2008 (EST)
(Guest)

Why do some of the steeps in this case the 92 models have compass buttons and some do not? Ive seen countless red 92s us models without the compass buttons and there is currently a red92 with compass buttons on ebay so basically did they release a compass button version and a non compass button version of the 92 steeps?

12:02 p.m. on March 9, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts
3:14 p.m. on March 9, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Thanks Phil...shippo the 92s have both compass buttons and regular buttons. It can depend on what time of the year they were made and of course where they are from since the 92s were also the year that steeps were both made in USA and China.

12:18 a.m. on March 30, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

What is the difference between a regular heli suit and a sample heli suit?

1:29 p.m. on April 30, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hello,
I have an old North Face Bershund(spelling?).Anyone remember this one? Looking for any info you might have. I think I bought it in 1979 or 1980. It is a frameless pack about 50-70 liters. Blue/Copper colored. Two big zippered back pockets and 2 pockets in the top flap. It is a great old pack that has seen thousands of miles. Just wondering if I have the model and date right for old time memories.
Thanks

2:40 a.m. on March 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts
North face rtg vest

Can someone help me find out what a Black North Face RTG vest would sell for. I have one and am trying to find out what a fair price would be. It's in very good condition. Thank you. I look forward to any responses.

6:18 p.m. on March 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts
Re: North face rtg vest

softly what is your email?

5:27 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts
TNF Heli Hydration Vest

Sorry, just realized I should have posted this here. Pardon the duplication.

Hi, there, is there anyone who can help provide me some original details about this vest?

I just found a North Face vest at the thrift store and am wondering if you might have any original info about it. It is all black except for the white embossed The North Face on the left chest, and the yellow embossed 'Heli' with blue, purple, red, orange 'sun rays' on the back lower waist. There is a hydration system and a zillion pockets, straps etc., and I am trying to figure out what they were all created for.
Any info or guidance you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Shawna

11:03 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts
Re: TNF Heli Hydration Vest

I can email a spec sheet for you

4:40 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts
So Whats the difference between the steep tech 95's....

Whats the difference between the steep tech 95 Apogee and 96 Apogee? and how about the Azimuths?

6:19 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts
Re: So Whats the difference between the steep tech 95's....

95 is a totally different jacket that resembles neither the apogee or azimuth. the 96 line had the apogee and the azimuth and the access, as did the 97 line. tnf has alot of useful information on file for years and specs if you email them they are glad to inform you what is what

9:51 a.m. on November 13, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Oh wow- i have had my 96' since then and always referred to it as a 95' lol- as Many of my friends in the BX did when they had theirs- go figure, lol. Face- thanks a lot!

Would TNF send pics of the 95? I think it might be a good idea(in my opinion, lol) to make a picture gallery or something on this site

8:38 p.m. on November 22, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

what is the difference between a mountain guide, light and classic?

I understand that the guide is a thigh length version of a classic? the one with the black back panel, but what's a class or a light? and which style is hardest to come by and worth more?

1:23 a.m. on December 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Did they ever make a 95/96 all black apogee?

and how rare is a all black access?and did they make a all black moto?

thanks

8:57 p.m. on December 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

sneakerxfiend - i am pretty sure you and i spoke the other day about mountains.

Justinzden - I have personally never seen a 95 smear or work in black, nor have I seen the 96 apogee or azimuth. I know of one person with the 96 access in all black and yes I would say that is a very rare item. The 93 and 94 smear/work jackets seem to be the most common in the all black. Never have seen an all black moto, but of course that does not mean that they aren't out there somewhere.

It is like the white heli jacket/vests. They are not listed as a color option on the specs from the catalog, yet there are definitely some out there.

3:09 p.m. on December 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Greetings,

I wish there was some sort of north face archive. I'm in need of some assistance with finding out the year and name of some of these north face jackets I have. Many thanks for the help in advance.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/Gionormous/R0011892.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/Gionormous/R0011893.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/Gionormous/R0011894.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/Gionormous/R0011896.jpg

6:57 p.m. on December 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Well pic #1 is supposed to be a mountain jacket, but is a fake just like the one in pic#3.

Pic #2 is either a classic mountain jacket or mountain guide, but appears to be the thigh-length version which would make it a mountain guide. If there is a black panel near the rear of the jacket then you will know it is a mountain guide.

Pic #4 is the Thunder Bolt Jacket.

Years can be determined based on the season tags on the 2 authentic jackets.

8:13 p.m. on December 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I had a feeling that #1 was fake but wasn't sure. #3, I had a really strong feeling about but I wasn't sure either. As far as #3 goes, it's not a thigh-length so I think it's a mountain jacket and not a guide.

Many many thanks on the info. Also, how do it determine whether they are fake or not? Are there certain things I should look out for?

11:41 p.m. on December 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Never mind, I found a few guides that were pretty informative and helpful. Thanks again Face.

3:43 a.m. on December 11, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

hey face how do you know if a northface jacket is real or fake?

11:34 a.m. on December 20, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

After owning TNF products for 12 years or so, it becomes second nature. If you are a first time buyer, or just curious about authenticity, the guys at www.thenorthfaceguru.com can be a great resource for you.

3:16 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

First off, Happy New Year, everyone!

I've got a request for you guys. I've got, what I believe to be a mid-90's era TNF ski jacket. I bought it a few years ago on eBay, but haven't seen another like it since. It's a model from their RAGE collection (written below the collar on the back). The jacket itself is a burnt-yellow color with black shoulders and black on the lower arm area. It's a 1/2 zip with 4 vertical pockets and 1 horizontal pocket on the outer chest area. There are a few hidden pockets here and there as well.

I'm looking for any info at all on this jacket. I can't even find a picture of it online.

Thanks.

10:31 a.m. on January 9, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Syphonation, I would recommend taking a photo of the front, back, and the season tag then email that to TNF and request information. Most likely you will get a black/white pdf file that tells you all the materials, specs, and colors of the item.

10:47 p.m. on March 6, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello,
I have quite a bit of North Face gear that I purchased back in the 70's. I am aware of the changes in the company and switch to global resourcing in China, Bangladesh etc (like most US made goods did due to cost).

I have recently purchased a USA made mint fleece model Extreme Z in black and red and and wondered what year they were made? Also it has all the attachments for zip/snap in so I wondered if there was also an Extreme Z parka that was sold separate?

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply