Attn TNF experts - I need your help

11:28 p.m. on September 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

This is a longshot, so my apologies.

Situation:  last month I donated an old TNF backpack to a Boy Scout Troop up in Columbus OH.  I sent it via FedEx and they either lost it or delivered it to the wrong house, because the Scoutmaster never got it.  It's an old pack and no doubt not worth more than the $100 automatic liability FedEx grants, but my problem is that I have no receipt (since it was bought back in the late 90s) and can't even remember the name of the pack itself.  I'm hoping someone can point me towards the information or provide it themselves.   It's not a money issue at this point, it's that FedEx has made me look like an individual who doesn't keep his promises.

The pack was red and black and while it resembled an internal frame, it actually had no frame at all.  Bought in the late 1990s.  Long (tall) narrow profile.  Compression straps on the side, thick padded waist belt, ice ax loop, cargo straps on the bottom of the packbag.  Now, I realize this is all very vague and nondescript, but is there anywhere I can see pics of old TNF packs from that era?  Really, the "frameless" aspect is the only distinguishing feature.

If they never locate this pack (and it's been an entire month) I'll have to file some sort of claim.  I'd like to get some sort of reimbursement - enough buy another used pack off these various forums to send to this Columbus troop.  They're from the inner city and aren't choosy.

Thanks for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.

KD

2:08 a.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I stopped using Fed-ex along time ago for very similar reasons.  They broke  a fish aquarium hood during shipping that was very expensive and was insured.  I filled out all the required papers that they sent me and then either said they didn't recieve them or sent them back saying they were incomplete when they were complete.    This happend four or five times till I just gave up.  Calling them yeilded no results.  Some of the worst customer service I have ever experianced in my life.   They will never have my bussiness again, ever.  Notice they have "Ex" in their name, they are my "Ex" shipping company.

I'm sorry I can't help with the IDing of the pack.  If you do not recieve compensation from FedEx I might be able to help as I run into really inexpensive, but brand name packs,  all the time that I pass up because I know one here on Trailspace or Ebay will  want them wiht the excess of newer packs out there.  The packs themselves are quite often in great shape but people everywhere cycle thru gear so fast that resonably good gear is quickly left by the wayside.  Let me know if you need any help.

2:20 a.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Thanks, apeman.   The guy is a regular over on the AT messageboard, WhiteBlaze.net.   I know a lot of us frequent the same boards and run in the same circles, so you might actually know the guy.

2:40 a.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Actually this is the only site I've ever been envoloved in.  Read reviews first and then read what everyone had to say in the different forums for a long time befor joinining.  This is the only one in "my" experiance where everyone stays civil.  I don't like to go to ththat ugly place that people seem to go on so many other sites.  Poeple here are friendly and go out of their way to help each other.  It's refreshing in this day and age.  Again let me know if I can help.  Winter is comming soon so I should come across some good packs for cheap at the Goodwill.  Even today I passed an external frame pack for $7. 

12:32 p.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Sounds like the mystery NF pack could possibly be the Liberty model that NF produced in the late 90s--frameless, mainly used as a climbing pack.  NF made another short-lived frameless called the Polar Circus in the same timeframe.  Hope this helps!

4:09 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Wow, nice call.  The Liberty is pretty darn close, but not quite an exact match.  Thanks.

12:00 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

How about the NF Jetstream climbing pack?  Around 3000 cubic inches, red & black in color with white TNF logo on front of top pocket.

12:54 a.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Another NF climbing pack that was red & black, but with two vertical pockets was named the Episode.

12:19 p.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Thanks guys, but I fear it's a moot point.  It's been almost two months now, and still no pack.  Either the driver delivered it to the wrong house, or someone stole it off the Scoutmaster's porch - but no once can find it, even though it's listed as "delivered".   Who knows?

5:40 p.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

@ oruacat2 : Do you want me to keep an eye out for packs at the Goodwill.  With winter coming on I think there will be more packs avaliable as most people don't buy packs in the winter.  Most of the packs I run into are exteral frame packs.  Seems that for begining scout backpacking that they would be just fine.

7:17 p.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

New development:  got a voicemail message this afternoon from The Box Stop, the "middleman" store who shipped my pack using FedEx and who put the "trace" on the package for me.  The guy said that he needs a mailing address so they can mail me a check for the pack.   I didn't return his call in time, so at this point I have no idea if they're just reimbursing my shipping costs or what.  I never had a receipt showing the value of the pack - only that I seriously doubted it was worth more than the $100 automatic coverage.   I'm curious though - I'll let you know more when they open for business in the morning.

@apeman :  I'll ask the Scoutmaster if they still need gear, because I'm not sure how many others on that forum sent him equipment, too.  Thanks for the offer and I'll let you know as soon as I know anything more.

KD

3:05 a.m. on October 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Well, gotta give credit where it's due.  Got a check from FedEx for the $100 plus what I paid to ship it.   As soon as Jerry (the Scoutmaster guy) gives me his address again I'll get busy trying to stretch that money as much as possible.  Should be able to get two decent packs with that money, or one really good one.  I'll have to see exactly what his kids need first.

Good job, FedEx.

3:12 a.m. on October 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Good, glad it all worked out for you.

3:28 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Update:  http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?75007-Scout-Leader-WTB-Backpacks-and-tenting-for-Troop/page2

With the money from that lost TNF pack I bought 3 youth-sized packs from Campmor for these guys.   Looks like they had quite a few responders help them out, so thanks to anyone who sent them gear!

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply