The Manistee River Trail, Michigan

8:18 p.m. on February 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

My favorite memories are usually the "firsts" memories: My first canoe trip, my first kiss, my first save as a Paramedic.  My favorite outdoor memory in the past 10 years is also a first:  My THIRD trip to the Manistee River Trail in Michigan.  I know, it doesn't make much sense, but it was my FIRST trip there with my brother and his son, and my cousin.  My brother, cousin, and I were thick as thieves when we were younger, but time and distance have drawn us apart.  In 2010 I decided to try to pull us back together...... and it worked.

I planned a trip to one of my favorite trails, and pulled them along.  A ten mile hike on one day and then a boat trip back to the vehicles the next day, but to tell the truth, none of that part matters.  The part that matters was the time we got to spend together to catch up in each others lives, and to start creating brand new traditions and memories.  I love them all so much.  Nothing is more important than family. 

I made a video of the trip and it is my honor to share it with you

4:30 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Arson,

The Manistee River Trail is one of my favorites, basically where I first started to cut my teeth on solo trips.  It's also one of the first places I took my younger brother for his first overnighter in the woods.  It doesn't have the awe-inspiring grandeur of the Tetons or the cascading range of light in the Sierras, but it's my place, and I love it.

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

6:49 p.m. on February 28, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

That place looks great! My sister's in Grand Rapids and is slowly getting into backpacking and I'll definitely have to pass this location on to her!

12:06 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I think your picture of the River is from the same spot I took some video shots.  It's such a wonderful place to hike.

8:56 p.m. on March 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

That looks beautiful. When talking about trails, hiking, backpacking and nature in general, I find that people tend to overlook Michigan. I am origionally from Michigan, and I am starting to plan some trips there, and this one just made my list. Thanks for posting this. :)

4:01 p.m. on March 13, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I enjoyed the video Arson, and you are right about spending time with family & friends. Sometimes you just have to make time to do this.

Thanks for sharing.

12:56 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,601 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Thanks everyone.  That trip sure meant a lot to me, and it's nice to be able to share it with people who can appreciate being in the outdoors with family.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply