Fall hike on the WY CDT

9:07 p.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I am section hiking the CDT, and I have completed CO and the area south of Rawlins, WY. I would like to hike the CDT north from Rawlins to near South Pass/Atlantic City this fall to avoid having to do it next summer when the weather is much warmer. My research of WY weather suggests highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s for October and November, but I cannot find a great deal of information about snowfall. I know these months average about an inch during these months and I know that blizzard like conditions are possible, but I would like to know if anyone has either personal experience in this region during the aforementioned timeframe or knows of a good source to do some weather research.

Additionally, thoughts as to whether this is a good idea or not are appreciated. By way of experience I have hiked sections of the CO Trail in winter during which snowshoe use was required, but I would not think they would be necessary for the portion of the trail that I am contemplating.

Thoughts?

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply