Redwoods or Rogue River?

6:57 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

I will be in the northern California area early November and would like to do a 2 night hike.  I am torn between two areas and would like some feedback and suggestions.  One area is the Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The other is Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.  I WANT IT ALL!!  I want to walk (and sleep) among the BIGGEST trees in the world, I want ocean beaches, I want herds of elk all in one hike.  Dreamer?  Backpacking is preferable, but truck camping is not ruled out.  Please share experiences with me and also address crossing water with or without bridges during this time.  I have read that some bridges are removed at the end of October. Another thought process involves hiking on the Rogue River Trail in Oregon.  Any suggestions or experiences will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Donna

7:31 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Hey DLV629:

My favorite trips have always been going up and down the PNW costal area's of which you speak. For me the nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the Redwoods. I believe that I'm at around ten trips from San Fran up to either Portland and or Seattle or the reverse. Since you have only two nights I would take in the closest area that gives you the most amount of time in the backcountry in regards to your location and the weather. I would look at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park or the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park first. The Rogue River area in OR is incredible, but would require you to spend way more time in the car rather than the back country. Either way you can't loose but you will be able to spend more time in the back country in some of the most mystical, magical forest on the planet that allways beckons to me.  Either backpacking or truck camping or both will likely yield many wonderful experiances.  I would pick a spot(s) that your interested in and rechearch the area on line and by calling to find out about local road conditions.  This is not the time of the year when places are flooding out and bridges are washed out on a normal basis.  But, with that beings said allways check your local road conditions and weather.  Have fun and please let us know what you decided to do and how it went for you

9:08 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm with Brian on this. But you must be ready for rain! It could be downpours or just light mist day and night. These things dont bother me. But if you arnt from aroud here it could dampen your spirits. Bring your rain gear, dont let it get you down. Enjoy!

6:24 a.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

Rain won't bother me too terribly.  Of course I'd prefer a nice mild sunny day, so please do your best to arrange that for me.  My problem is that I seem to have little time to sit and really look at things online.  And then when I do I become somewhat overwhelmed because ALL the trails sound good, or I'll find one that stands out over the others and then find some little glitch that makes it not be quite as appealing.  And since our time is so limited, I don't want to spend a lot of time while there trying to figure things out and test and trial while there.  I would like to plan ahead and have my hike(s) all planned out.  Thanks so much for the responses.  ---Donna

1:24 p.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Just dug up this http://www.redwoodhikes.com/ The State parks will be closed. :(

3:37 p.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Mike, that is a great link with much info on the Redwoods in both state and National parks.

In an effort to find out if the listed parks that

DLV629 is interested in I found the list of the 70 closed parks.

Here is a list of the 70 closed state parks in CA due to budget woes.

http://my.calparks.org/site/PageServer?pagename=2011ParkClosures

Luckily the two State Park parks that you want to see are not on the list.

I would also consider checking out Redwoods National Park, again depending upon where you are going to be located and what your time frame is and what the weather is doing. As Mike said be ready for varying degrees of wet conditions.

Remember just because the state parks are close to camping does not nescessarly mean that you cannot go hiking in the state parks.   It usually means ther are no supported facilities such as bathrooms, shower, camping, trash removal.  Some of my finest easy access hiking has been in "closed" areas where people think they can't go and then don't just cause it says closed. If you can camp in your truck, this gives you other options that people who wanted to tent camp don't have. Though I never, ever, ever, suggest that anyone ever breaks the law. There is something to be said for stealth camping as well. I wish you well on your travels thru the Redwoods. The very first time I went over 30+ years ago I was hooked and have not stopped going back, and never will if given the chance.

Further more the fact that 70 state parks (25 % of the state parks in CA) being listed as closed means that those who are out and about will look to the state parks that are listed as open.  I've been thru and to many state parks in the state of CA through out the years,  where,  due to the time of year,  the campgrounds were closed where you could still hike and experiance the park, you just could not therecamp over night.  It may be that now is one of those  times where it is better to go and visit some of the parks that would normally be busy but that people think are off limits due to there listing of being "closed".  I am not advoctaing that anyone does anything illegal or agianst the law as that would be listed under term "risky behavior".

Here is a link to a site that will have more information about the closed parks.  I myself cannot open it as I'm on dial-up, but it seems from my investigation that this site will have a lot of info regarding what I've been talking about.

http://www.calparks.org/

7:18 p.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks Brian, I just saw it breifly in the early Am. Just needed to post the closers.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply