tuckerman ravine skiing?

10:16 p.m. on November 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

skied across the street for decades at state park,how is it,in the ravine?climbed it on lion head is it ~1500'?on bucket list,tough climb,hows jewell in winter?how do you carry gear?crampons all the way?no huntington for me too old.the shuttle has plenty of room for gear going down?

10:17 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

I have done a lot of hiking in the whites and know a fair amount about the area including Mt washington.

If you want to ski Tuck's you would want to hike up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and then climb up into the ravine on whatever path you choose to ski, rather than climb up the Lion's Head trail and ski down from the head wall. My picture to the left is of the particularly steep sections on Lion's head before getting above tree line, and they without a doubt require ice climbing skills and tools - don't try it without them.

either route, I would def use crampons all the way, and I would bring at least a mountaineering axe or ice tool, and depending on your solo climbing skills, maybe some protection.

The Jewell trail is the easiest in any season in my opinion. I don't know about the shuttle and room for gear - what shuttle are you referring to? To my knowledge the only shuttle in winter that runs from anywhere on the mountain is your legs. 

The snow cat goes up and down most days for supplying the summit observation post, but it doesn't help hikers unless there is an emergency.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply