What Size in Litre, Rucksack would I need ?

2:43 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am a world backer/traveler , I am currently in McLeod Ganj. Dharamshala. India. The home of the Dali Lama. It is a stunningly beautiful place. In the last 3 months I have traveled 8,000 KM around India and Nepal by bus and train.
I am traveling with a canvas "grip" or "holdall" I am using the hand carry straps as arm straps carrying the bag as my backpack, as I travel with a 17" laptop computer (15 1/2" x 10 1/2"). I have quite a few items but all fit into the canvas bag. At time of writing total weight is 18 KG. This is all my worldly possessions.

12” Wide x 20 1/2” Long x 11 1/2” Height. all sizes in inches.

I am considering changing to a backpack/rucksack but do not know how many litre size I would need, to carry the same quantity of goods in a backpack.

Could you convert the above dimensions into litre (backpack size) for me.

As I am 69 years old I would err on the smaller size, if the above dimensions fit midway between two different litre sizes. I would rather dispose of items rather than carry more goods.

Any advice other than return to a western lifestyle would be gratefully appreciated.

7:33 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

As I do not know how compressable the stuff you have is, I judge the size just by the weight. For about 20 kilos weight I would choose a pack in the range 50 to 60 litres, preferrably 60.

Some packs have good solutions as to pockets and straps to extend the pack. If you find a good one then perhaps you could do with the 50 litres version. Just my 2p. Otto

11:21 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Welcome, Sir! I cannot add to your questions solution, but can tell you how great it is that you are traveling and seeing all the world!

1:07 p.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

12” Wide x 20 1/2” Long x 11 1/2”= 2829 cubic inches= 46.3 liters

12x20.5z11.5=2829 2829(cubic inches)/61.02(1 liter in cubic inches)=46.3

Now please note that this calculation is a very rough measurement, because it really depends on the style of the pack and the way to pockets etc are sewn as to if you actually have 46 liters of usable space. I would guess that its more like 40 liters of usuable space.

I would say get a 50-60 liter pack, but thats just me. I would take all your stuff to an outfitter and see what fits and whats comfortable and buy from there.

2:05 p.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

You currently have 2829 cubic inches or 46.35 liters in a duffel bag shape like this (I assume)
xctmpnJAGoc.png

Personally I would recommend a pack like this one.  Alps Mountaineering Solitude Plus . It's a 50.5 liter pack.
solitude-plus.png
It has 2 side pockets which help you organize gear and get to commonly used items with out digging around in the pack.  The padded waste belt is also removable. It also has 2 straps that let you "shrink" the pack when it is not full.

It's currently available at http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/ALPS-Mountaineering-Solitude-Blue-Plus-3100-Pack/5779203/product.html for $75.99

I would not err on the smaller side.  A pack with padded straps will let you carry much more weight and size than wearing a duffel bag like a pack. This pack has a padded waste belt which will transfer some of the weight to your hips making it more comfortable to carry heavier loads. 

3:58 a.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thank you fellows for your help, You have given me more help and advice than what I could have expected. ocalacomputerguy I more than likely will take up your recommendation. If delivery can be made in New Delhi, before I head of to Jordan, to explore the Middle Mast

6:54 a.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

For a cheap, very comfortable, and very durable pack I would have to recommend a Kelty redwing 3100. I have one and love it, you can find them on sale alot for $50. Its an awesome pack for day hiking and traveling. Fits in an airplane overhead compartment too.

7:31 a.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Redwing 50 either.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Redwing-50-Internal-Frame/dp/B004CXCJTG/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Solitude-Cubic-Inches/dp/B003VRG91S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323087742&sr=8-1

Trailspace has a trip report forum also.  Post a report occasionally. I'm sure you have some adventures we would be interested in.

8:36 a.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
584 forum posts

Check out gregoryPacks.com. They have duffels which pull double duty as backpacks. One of the models has padding in the lid so when it's being used as a backpack, you have some cushioning between you and whatever you are hauling.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply