Cape Hatteras National Seashore

1:43 p.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
24 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I'm trip planning today, Feb 1st, when it should be Winter in Philly, instead it's 64-degrees.

Next Summer's vacation will be utilized to take the Jeep and kayak to Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Any advice on campsites to avoid, weather, mosquitoes, etc. ? I'm thinking after Labor Day for less bugs and crowds, but have not put in for my specific weeks off yet.

I have a Feathercraft, plan on camping and paddling, little else, except a visit at the end to Kitty Hawk.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom from those of you who've been there.

~Paul

2:11 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
35 forum posts

I camped on Ocracoke many years ago.  We went in August and it was very hot, but at the time I was only 19 so it didn't really bother me. We spent a lot of time jumping into the ocean and surfing.  Once the sun went down, it was humid but very pleasant outside.  There were some bugs flying around, but we were at a car campground closer to the ocean, so we weren't getting attacked by mosquitoes.

I went to Cape Lookout in October, which is not very far south from Cape Hatteras.  The weekend I went, the wind was pretty strong.  I'm sure the weather can be better than what we experienced, but nonetheless, I have a trip report that shows how I felt about the weather in our October trip.  I have to copy the URL from my phone because my employer blocks wordpress sites, so my apologies if the link is broken.

Misadventure at Cape Lookout

10:22 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

October is generally my favorite time here in ENC. Warm days, cool nights, less humid, no bugs, no tourists, mostly sunny, lower prices. My family has gone to the beach near here for a week most every October for a long time. So if you are thinking after Labor Day, think later rather than sooner. September is usually just about as hot and humid as August -- well, maybe not in the mid to hi 90s, but plenty hot nonetheless. June is usually also pretty nice, although it got hot early and stayed hot all summer long last year. Oh, August and Sept. are the worst times for hurricanes. Sometimes we get them in Oct., but not nearly as often. So there's that.

The Outer Banks are very nice. Lots of history. Plan to run up to Manteo one night to see the "Lost Colony" outdoor drama. It's a NC tradition -- that's where Andy Griffith started his acting career. Story of the first colony in NC, which mysteriously disappeared. Great fun. Worth going to the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kill Devil Hills, also -- do them on the same day. (Kitty Hawk itself is not actually where the Wrights flew. Odd. I don't know how that name got associated with the Wrights. Not that there's a lot of difference between Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head.)

You will enjoy the kayaking tremendously. I don't know if you are thinking about ocean paddling, but I prefer going around on the Sound side of the island. The marshes and inlets and coves are much more interesting to poke around in. Teeming with wildlife of all kinds. 

2:48 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
24 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks, valuable info from those who know ! Anybody else ??

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply