Transportation from Seattle to Olympic National Park

5:51 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Im thinking about flying into Seattle to go to Olympic national park this spring but I am trying to find out the transportation options. I have heard there is a ferry system that runs from Seattle to some of the ports on the peninsula. I have also heard there is a bus service that will pick up at the airport and drop off at the park. I do not know if these are legitimate sources of information so I am asking if anyone has any experience doing this or any advice on how to get from Seattle to the park.

Also on a side note if anyone knows how to get from the Seattle airport to Mt. Rainer national park I would be interested in that info also.

-Mg

8:53 p.m. on February 9, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Alright, I got it figured out. Im going to be flying into Seattle on may 21st and be in Port Angeles that night. On the 22nd Im going to hitch hike into the park. If anyone in the area wants to come out and hike that week just give me a heads up here. Ill be there until the 31st. I'll be spending 9 days in the park backpacking. Im still working out the places to go in the park so if anyone has any suggestions there that would be sweet.

- mg

5:26 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Check out Clallam county transit for movement around PA and the north side of the park.

Rt 20 or 22 may get you up close to the Park office.  It all depends on where you want to go.  Just remember that the Elwa river road south into the mountains will be closed so that side of the park is not very accessible.  You may want to head out to the cost.  It's will be a hit and miss with the weather.  La Push has several beaches that you can access.  Or head north and go to Neah Bay and head in at Shi Shi, that's a great beach. 

Other areas are the Dungess river valley and the valleys out of the Forks area. Both offer great hiking if the snow's not to low. 

Wolfman

2:07 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Ive been calling around and from what I understand the Whiskey Bend Road to access the Elwah will be accessible by May. I have contacted a gentleman that is the only licensed shuttle driver to trail heads in the Park. He assured me that for a small fee he would get me to and from wiskey bend in late May.

Im planning 2 trips. One will have me shuttled to the Quinnalt river North Fork and I will thru hike the 46 miles of the quinnalt/elwah river. My other option is to enter via whiskey bend and hike to low divide where I will attempt to climb Mt Christie through martins park. I have all my mountaineering stuff and I think that I can ascend the ridge line with my ice ax and crampons. Its been some time since I have had any time in the alpine so I would like to spend one day or two practicing my self arrests and stuff.

mg

4:20 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

How you getting from SeaTac to Port Angeles?

4:53 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

giftogab said:

How you getting from SeaTac to Port Angeles?

http://www.olympicbuslines.com/

Its was a few bucks but it works. There is also this guy: http://goallpoints.com/ who works for Olympic bus lines and can charter you into any of the trail heads in the park

MG

9:09 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

That looks like a nice ride!

1:33 a.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Mumblefords Glad to know you got the transportation worked out.  I did not know about the "Go All Points" guy, glad to know about him. 

Watch the weather and email or call the park before you fly in, they should know how much snow is still out their.  You may want to plan on snow shoes and some "winter" camping on that route.  I think you will have several passes to cross and in May-June they could be covered in snow. 

Best of Luck to you. 

Wolfman

6:38 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Mumblefords, I think you need to get in touch with the Park Office and or check out their web page.  But long and short of it is the Elwha river road south of 101 will only get you to the Altair Campground.  And you can not hike into that area from the park.  Well that's what they are saying at least.  

Here is the closed area:
Elwha_area_closures_mills_v2.jpg

Currently the only way to get to Whiskey bend is from Hurricane Ridge, it's doable, but I would think that their will still be a lot of snow then.  

I am not trying to crash your party, I just don't want you to get here and find out your plans won't work. 

If you can pick up a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map # 216, the Olympic National Park.  This is a great map for planing as it has all the Park and a lot of the surrounding area around it. 

A couple options;

1)  In at the Bogachiet trail head and out at Lake Crescent, This is the same route as you plan but coming out at the lake, probably a little longer then your original plan.

2)  In at the Dosewallips and out at Hurricane Ridge, or the opposite way.

3)  In at the Dungeness Trail Head and out at, the Dosewallips, Hurricane ridge, or the big cross out at Lake Quinault.  The last one takes you all the way across the park Depending on what way you go that can be a great hike, from what I have heard.  But that's a long trip with no resupply.

Contact the Park here and they can be a lot of help. 

Wolfman

7:01 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

yeah i have been worried about this because everything says the area is closed. I have been following the Elwah dam removal project for some time now and it is part of the reason im heading out that way. I asked the park rangers about it being closed and they said that I can get through whiskey bend road ONLY with the shuttle licensed and run by the All Points Charters.

I have also made about 4 separate trip plans depending on closures, time constraints and heavy snow. So I do have my options. The rangers up there ares really cool and will let you reserve your permits for days in the park and not for specific sites.  (permits are issued by area/districts of the park)

8:40 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Wow that's good to know!  The PNW trail runs through there and I was under the impression that it was completely cut off.  Looks like Willie got the set up. :)  I will have to get a hold of him next time I am out on the Peninsula.  That's got to be a lot better then hiking a long road! 

Glad you got it handled, like I said, I just didn't want you to get here and then have to come up with a all new plan.

Wolfman

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply