Nashville to Yosemite

4:13 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I am planning to drive from Nashville, TN to Yosemite and back this summer.  Please suggest for me stops along the way! I may take I-70, maybe I-40, but I have set nothing in stone.  Help me route my trip!

4:41 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

It would help a great deal to tell us a little about yourself and the trip: what your current outdoor experience is; What outdoor interest you are active in; what your goals are for the trip; how long you will be allotting for your journey each way, etc. 
Without some parameters and info, it would be about like trying to blindly guess how you should spend the rest of your life :) 

5:40 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Gonzan hit the nail on the head. We are going to need some more info on you to even start giving you ideas.  how much time you want to spend places is important. If your main goal is a massive road trip to yosemite I would suggest bringing as many people as possible for enjoyment and shared expenses. If your real goal is just make it to  yosemite consider flying or taking an amtrack train/greyhound. It will be much cheaper. 

If you are doing the whole road trip thing and want to visit stuff along the way be sure to have as much money as possible (last thing you want is to end up 2500 miles from home with a blown radiator or something and your back account being destroyed). if your going to be spending time at places along the way bring even more money and again it would help to have some companions to share the expenses.

6:25 p.m. on February 21, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

If you took a southernly route first you could see Big Bend in southern Texas, then head north after you go thru New mexico and see the Grand Canyon, San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff, the Meteor Crater, cross the Colorado at the AZ/CA border and stop up in Death Valley and go north thru eastern California to Mammoth/Mono lake and over the Sierra to Yosemite. There are many other possibilitys depending on route(s).

1:12 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

Near the Sierra, on your western approach you might consider Death Valley from Grand Canyon and then on to Lone Pine on US 395 north to an entry to Yosemite over Tioga Pass.

Return over the Sierra on Hiway 50 and then up to Colorado on I-70 or smaller roads coming down on the west side of the Rockies (missing Denver and Colorado Springs), but touching at least Aspen, Leadville, Buena Vista and perhaps even Durango/Silverton on the south.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply