Kaweah in Sequoia ideas

8:59 p.m. on February 22, 2012 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Some  fairly newbie backpacking friends want to do a short trip along any of the creeks and rivers in the Kaweah Basin. 

Can anyone recommend about a 4 mile out and back [8-10 mile total] hike we can do that would be good for some day trip fishing?

Appreciate any help for a spot that is pretty, as secluded as possible with decent fishing.

Thanks much!

11:55 p.m. on February 22, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

If you are talking about THE Kaweah Basin (basin immediately east of Black Kaweah, Red Kaweah, north of Mt Kaweah) there is no short route in and out.  I will be there this summer, as part of a nine day loop starting and ending at Crescent Meadow.

The fastest route in is from Crescent Meadow over Kaweah Gap, then over Pyra-Queen Col.  Unless you are superhuman, count on a bare minimum of three days to get to Kaweah Basin by that route (it's 22 miles just to Kaweah Gap, so somewhere close to 30 to Kaweah Basin proper).  Once over Kaweah Gap, it is all off-trail, and Pyra-Queen Col is a very steep, loose class 2 pass on the west side.

Are you perhaps thinking of a different area?

9:52 a.m. on February 23, 2012 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

That's good. Thanks, though your route sounds fun. I was thinking near the Marble Fork section of the river. I hear there is good fly-fishing, but haven't heard about packing in near any of the forks.

11:49 p.m. on February 23, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

I'm not very familiar with fishing on the various forks of the Kaweah River, other than the East Fork (and the higher lakes feeding it) in the Mineral King area.  Some of those high lakes have decent fishing.  The lower parts of the Kaweah River, like the Marble Fork, will be warm in the summer, with rattlesnakes and ticks along the lowest stretches.  You would need to contact the wilderness office at SEKI to get details on those locations, and any restrictions.  

Another option would be the Middle Fork Kaweah River, there is a good trail going all the way up from Buckeye Flat.  I don't know how the fishing is there.  And I have a friend who likes to fish Stony Creek, which is just north of the Marble Fork.

I know of a lot of high country lakes that offer truly hot fishing (including one where we caught fat brookies by dangling the lure a few inches above the water).  But all of those require longer trips than what you want.  And for fly fishing, it would be hard to beat Tehipite Valley, it has a good reputation.  Imagine having a place like Yosemite Valley all to yourselves, with great fishing.  However, it takes effort to get there, 17 miles from the road on a trail that can hardly be called a trail in many places.

1:04 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

In most of the Sierra, you won't find much seclusion at any fishing spots that are only 4 miles in.

But there are a few places that are at least spectacular getting there or being there.

Are you based near San Fransisco (west Sierra) or more Southern California (east Sierra)?

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply