need a little info

10:54 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

my wife and i have been toying with the idea of heading north to visit the AT this spring, we are thinking june. my dilema is i am not well traveled or well versed in the ins and outs of the logistics required to pull this off. some basic info on what we are looking for...... springer mountain ( or near by ) as a starting point , would prefer to get a shuttle back as opposed to an out and back, would like to hike for 3 or 4 days but can go a little longer or shorter to use shuttles to avoid an out and back.

since i am not familiar with the trail i realize there may be side trails to burn time on or maybe a loop and that would be good as well but if possible we would like to avoid trodding the same ground twice.

also if there are some contacts, out fitters etc' that are willing to share their knowledge FREE that would probably be helpful as well.

thanks in advance from us both.

earl and Michelle.

7:18 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Good Day Eary,

Four days in October 2011 was the pace we had and with 45 lbs plus I didn't want it faster. Water was a problem for us at that time. We had to carry 3 to 4 liters the last 1/2. We caught the shuttle at Neels Gap (Tom Bazemore was a great shuttle service) into springer and it isn't a short ride, plan your time well. Have a great trip, we did.

PS: Bear cables do not stop flying squirrels.

9:50 a.m. on February 28, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
911 forum posts

You may want to consider this stretch. In June it should be absolutely gorgeous with rhododendrons and azaleas.  You could hike South from 19E if you wanted to be shuttled back.  I prefer not to rely on cell phones if I'm running late or early. For a longer trip just get dropped off south of Carver's gap at the visitor's center (Does anybody know the official name) or take a side trip out to grassy ridge.  This whole area is a place you will want to take it slow in because it is so beautiful.

This is my trip report: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/103958.html 

1:27 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

thanks guys, i appreciate the info. time for research of those areas.

earl.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply