Yellowstone in the 2nd week of june

2:37 p.m. on March 2, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Hi everyone! So like in my last post me and my hubby will be going to Yellowstone in June. We had originally planned to go from may 31st to the 9th. But now I may have to push it up one week June 7-17. My question is.... How much rain can I really expect? We will be camping out for 9 days and carrying camera gear.. So I'm not sure if I should risk pushing it one more week up? Was anyone up there that week last year? Thanks so much!!!

7:31 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Not sure what kind of camera equipment you have but have you seen these before?

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases.html

You may want to PM Gonzan. He recently took a hike in the Tetons and he was carrying a digital SLR.  He mentioned in his trip report that he changed the way her carried it so he could be quick on the draw with it.

Good Luck with your trip :)

7:45 a.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Hi will be carrying two lenses, a body and tripod.one of the lenses is kinda heavy. Are you saying that it will rain a lot? Lol . I will difenetly look into the waterproof pouch! Thanks. Have you been to Yellowstone at that time?

10:13 a.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I've never been to Yellowstone and I'm a little jealous ;).  I'm guessing that at some point we'll all end up hiking in the rain and want to take pictures.  

12:22 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

True!! Lol. I'll post some picks when I come back!!

10:43 a.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I live two hours north of the park, so I have a fair idea of what weather in SW MT and NW WY looks like. 

Most of the rainfall does happen in May and early June.  It tapers a bit through the rest of the summer, but not significantly (generally speaking).  That being said, the past two years have been uncommonly wet during June in our area. 

At any rate, the vast majority of the precip is in the form of afternoon showers.  Mornings-through-mid-afternoon should be great.  Late May and early June may see some all-day storms, but those are not highly common. 

Certainly pack a dry-bag for electronics/camera.  You can expect to see some moisture, but, unless you catch a really bad week, you will also see a lot of sunny and dry weather for things to breathe and dry out.

Hope that helps some! 

12:16 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

In case you don't know the difference Ygil Cleric is referring to http://www.trailspace.com/gear/paddling/dry-bags-sacks/  They are fairly water proof stuff sacks. 

12:58 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,472 forum posts

I always cary a fuji waterproof cam in case it just gets too wet (or if I am kayaking) and actually get pretty good pix for such an unsophisticated cam.

August 2, 2014
Quick Reply