Summer trip up the East Coast.

8:00 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I'm sort of in charge of planning the summer trip this year.  Everybody seems to want to go up the East coast this year. I'm looking for some good day/overnight hikes I can take the family on. 

I've just started trying to layout a route so anything a reasonable distance from I-95 will be appreciated. Also any suggestions on places to see and things to do that aren't hiking related would be appreciated too.  We will have some non-hikers along with us.

5:27 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

Aside from your idea of descending Mt Washington over in the other thread, here are some suggestions -

When you get into Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, take some Civil War Battlefield tours. These are usually interesting, and many of them have sections that can be done with easy walking.

Get ahold of one of the "High Points" books. Many of the state High Points in the East are close to the interstate system (though not so close to I95), and many have either a short hike or are driveup for the non-hikers.

Great Smoky Mountain NP has a number of short hiking loops, as well as driving to the top of Mt Mitchell and some other peaks. Just avoid Cade's Cove - it is always bumper to bumper traffic through there. Better to come in from the east side of the hills. This is a bit west of your chosen I95, though.

I don't know how interested in history your group is, but when you get to North Carolina, head east on US64 at Rocky Mount over to the coast an Kill Devil Hills, site of the Wright Brothers' first flight 109 years ago. There is a nice museum there.

When you are up in New England, Vermont has some nice short hikes  in the Green Mountains and New York in the Adirondacks (lots of long hikes, too). For example, Mt. Mansfield has a couple approaches that are just 2-3 hours hike round trip at a leisurely pace. Going up the toll road (at a cost, of course) lets you hike along the ridge with no big ups and downs.

11:36 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Thanks Bill.

I'd thought about the the Wright Brothers and was going to try to fit them in.  I hadn't thought about the civil war areas. 

I had a Grandfather that lived in the small town of Rosman, NC (Just South of Brevard) and spent many summers there and weekends in the Fall.  I've actually tent camped on Mt. Mitchell.  Also Smoke Mount, Balsam and Pisgah. We'll be hiking a lot here in the years to come.

We're going to redo our Roan Mountain - Carver's Gap to 19E hike in June.  I'm hoping to catch the azaleas and rhododendrons in bloom this year.

6:18 p.m. on March 6, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

If your familiar with the Rosman area you already know about the Blue Ridge Escarpment area. Since that is usually the direction I head to and area I know about, that would be my recommendation for my state of SC. if you want some neat places to hike with the family.

Mike G.

5:41 a.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
434 reviewer rep
668 forum posts

In NH, my old alma mater, Lost River, where I was a naturalist for three summers and worked as a guide when I was 18. It's a tourist attraction, but the emphasis is on the beautiful gorge and it's fun for kids and is owned by the Society for the Protection of NH Forests. If you go, don't miss the nature garden.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply