About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Bike tour coming up in three weeks

11:31 a.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Do ya'll mind if I post my bicycle tour trip reports to well, Trip Reports being its not a backpacking hike? I will be leaving here the 8th of April riding back to Flagstaff AZ. I will be riding and hiking too. I expect to take about 3 weeks or more as there are so many places along the way I plan to do some dayhike and overnighter hikes.

thumbnailCAXVO6QN.jpg

12:36 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Now those are some cool paniers! Wish the pic were bigger so I could get a true gander at that bike. Love me some bike!

2:07 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Do ya'll mind if I post my bicycle tour trip reports to well, Trip Reports being its not a backpacking hike? I will be leaving here the 8th of April riding back to Flagstaff AZ. I will be riding and hiking too. I expect to take about 3 weeks or more as there are so many places along the way I plan to do some dayhike and overnighter hikes.

thumbnailCAXVO6QN.jpg

I for one would welcome your bike reports Gary.  Wondering where you leave your bike and gear when you out hiking?

4:24 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

No, not at all.  Post away. 

5:46 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Giftogab: Its a Trek 4500 front suspension Mtn Bike. I made the panniers myself in 2007.

Apeman: I lock my bike to a tree. Stashing it away from others in remote ares. Have yet to have it bothered on previous lockups. I have been bike touring 30 years in September

First-couple-days-of-my-bike-ride-to-Sho

My bike last fall in late September a couple days after I left Flagstaff to ride to Tucson. This is at the Little Colorado River east of Flagstaff.

Sept-28-to-30-2011-Camping-with-Paul-con

This was at Scott's Lake Reservoir south of Show Low. I had way to much when I left there. I left the front panniers stashed in a forest near Vernon about a day later. Plan someday to go back and retrieve them. Maybe this fall as I go to southern New Mexico to hike the Gila Wilderness.

Anyway in April on the 8th I am pedaling back to Flagstaff a different way than I came down. I am going north to Florence and Apache Trail Road to Roosevelt Lake thru the Superstition Wilderness. Then north to Payson and the Mogollen Rim country. Then up to West Clear Creek and eventually Mormon Lake and Flagstaff. It will take me about 1-2 weeks of actual riding to get to Flagstaff but I am adding 1-2 weeks of side dayhikes and overnighters possibly along the way in the Superstitions and West Oak Creek.

I will let ya'll know when I leave add post new trip reports as I get to library's along the way.

6:02 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

Given your nomadic lifestyle, it is good to post and let us know you are ok. We'll enjoy it too!

11:35 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I would say post away Gary. I would hate to miss out on this TR. You'll be going thru some nice country that I think those not from this area would realy like to see. Apache Trail is a beautiful route.

4:25 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Update:

I am now going to go right at Oracle Jct and ride down to Mammoth AZ on route 77. The other way north to Apache Jct I decided was too open and would be hot and dry. Going NE to Mammoth, Winkelman and Globe before going to Roosevelt Lake will be greener, shady and have more natural water sources along the way. When I get to Roosevelt Dam at the NE end of the Apache Trail I will bike up it west to Fish Creek Canyon, then turn around after a dayhike or overnighter there and go back to Roosevelt Lake and head to Payson.

www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/fish_​creek/canyon.html

Fish-Creek-Canyon.jpg

Old image of Fish Creek canyon, note car in forground.

Along the way from Tucson to Globe I will be stopping at Aravaipa canyon Wilderness too.

www.wilderness.net/​index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&WID=15 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aravaipa_Canyon_​Wilderness

Aravaipa-Canyon.jpg

Aravaipa Canyon

North of Payson I will be getting to the West Clear Creek Wilderness

West-Clear-Creek-Canyon.jpg

West Clear Creek Canyon near Payson AZ

www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/west_​clear_creek/

Then just north of Strawberry AZ I will climb the highway up onto the Mogollon Rim.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim

Mogollon-Rim.jpg

The Mogollon Rim looking southeast near Strawberry AZ

6:57 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Well in researching permits for the Aravaipa Wilderness I find there are no openings for permits till May. April is booked, theres a 3 day hiking limit too. Must be a busy place. Gues I better do more homework and look into the West Clear Creek area too.

www.blm.gov/az/aravaipa

7:00 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I think you made a good choice to go thru Mammoth instead of Florence. Going thru Florence is very flat but also very dry and kinda boring. The Mammoth Winkleman route is definitly prettier. However there is a long/tall pass to get over between Winkleman and Globe

1:51 p.m. on March 17, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Yes I have cycled that way north before, tho the last time was in the spring of 1991 the last time I lived in Tucson for the winter. Thats why I changed my mind as for the dryness and the early April heat.

I have a Flagstaff friend who might come down and go with me now. I am planning to take 2-4 weeks with side hikes.

2:40 p.m. on April 2, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

I have two more weeks before my bike tour to Flagstaff. I am waiting one extra week, leaving Saturday April 14th. And man! Its getting hot down here in Tucson now. Mid 80s by early morning and it feels hotter when the sun is low than in midafternoon when its high.

1:39 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Yep summers almost here. :(  Blaaaaaaah! Was 90 degress here few days ago.

Its looking like Im not gonna be here for this one. Hopefully not for anymore either.  Might have to change my name to ndrhino or wyrhino if all goes right.

2:14 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally don't mind and would find it interesting. Plus its human powered to boot. Hope you have a great trip Gary.

11:43 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Yeah I am looking at different maps of the areas I am pedaling thru. I call my tours bike/hikes as I choose routes that pass thru wild areas and then spend from a couple days to a week off backpacking and camping. Right now I am looking at West Clear Creeks SE and NE arms near Clint's Well. Its just north of Strawberry and the Mogollon Rim country. I also plan to maybe cycle along the Mogollon Rim a bit.

hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=938  Check out the photos section at this link for images of West Clear Creek. Copy and paste the link into your browser.

2:14 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

008.jpg

Here's my bike at Sabino Canyon GiftoGab. Guess you are still in Asia?

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply